Saturday, August 24, 2024

Live As Simply As You Can

(Author's note As you are reading this, I am likely on a plane or have already arrived for my next weekend of clean-up at The Ranch.  Responses may be delayed due to a lack of InterWeb.)

One of the seemingly great joys I have been experiencing of late is being introduced to Orthodox Christian thought. While I do not know that I would ever become fully Orthodox, anything that involves a historic tradition will garner my interest (also, they seem to have a pretty good social media presence). It is simply full of pithy thoughts and comments.

Paisios of Athos is not fully unknown to me; as it turns out I purchased a work of his at The Great Meteora when we were in Greece in 2023. I overall enjoyed the work which is called With Pain and Love for Contemporary Man (one of a total 6 volumes; I should have bought them all when I had the chance); it comes across both with wisdom and that sort of slightly out-of-touchness that the Religious orders sometimes seem to have with the modern world. We heard from him at least once here.

All of that said, his words today really struck me.

Modern life is complicated and difficult, especially if you live "in the modern world" - which in my case I have to do, somewhat not by choice And when I say complicated, it has become even more so in recent years. Just myself alone, I have two computers (work and home), two phones (work and phone), a home I "own" (in that I pay a mortgage on it), an apartment I rent, and a property I manage (four e-mail accounts as well as if I think about it). Plus all of the stuff and expenses that go along with all of that. And effectively having a set of long distance family and friend relationships. Somewhere along the way trying to my own thing as well.

If I think about it that way, it becomes a bit much. Which perhaps is why this quote speaks to me so much.

Last Saturday was, for me, almost the perfect day. I did not have to leave the house if I did not want to. I read. I made cheese and soup and bread and cucumber salad. I let the rabbits out. I practiced harp and Iaijustu. I read some blogs. I walked.

Simple things. Cost me not a cent (well, except for utilities of course). But what a pleasant day I had and how relaxed I was when I went to bed.

Along with avoiding the mantra and mindset "More, More, More" I need to adopt the mantra and mindset of "Simpler, Simpler, Simpler". Because Paisios is right: we become slaves to the complexity of modern life and hardly realize it until the chains are firmly around our wrists and necks.

10 comments:

  1. I know I've said this before, but being poor has the distinct blessing of keeping one from the entanglements of materialism. That's assuming one can learn to see it that way. Humans very much seem to be followers, always wanting and seeking what everybody else has and that can be a form of slavery too. I suppose that's why the words of Paul of Tarsus mean so much to me, "I have learned to be content . . ."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - You have and it remains very true.

      Humans may be the only species on Earth that consciously puts itself in subjection to things and deeply desires to folliw something (indeed, anything) even if it leads to their doom.

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:18 AM

    Well, one good thing about Modern Life is that The InterNets can enable one to stay in touch with those like-minded individuals TB. Good luck on the weekend's cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - That is a great point. I have met a great many wonderful folks through the InterWeb. And been able to find all kinds of information.

      Delete
  3. That is my wish... to lively simply. Part of it is the speed at which I can work now. Everything is slow, and slow is part of simple, I think. That in itself is welcome.

    Enjoy the Ranch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - The more I have given it thought, the more I realize simple is harder than complicated. It is shockingly easy to live a complicated life; it is difficult in the modern world to live a simple one.

      Delete
  4. Just recently my brother sent me a meme that states something along the lines, "What if we became Amish, only with 1998 technology as the limit?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, there is a book that I have that I will have to look up when I get back home but posits that very concept: the idea of just choosing an error in a technology and living in it. Uisdean Ruadh and I Walk-through your comment last night about what it would be like to live back in 1998. It was a very interesting discussion.

      Delete
  5. Hi Bubba!!, All this about living "Simply" is good... Remember the "K.I.S.S." Principle?? But all this brought to my mind a comment by an old now long gone early Skydiver, "R.L. Tycer".. who when he would see some one acting "DUMB" .. especially in the pursuit of skydiving.. he would say to them,"KNOWLEDGE Is POWER!!!!... YOU DUMB ASS!!!!" .... Yes living the "Simple Life" is good... but sometimes ya' have ta' "Keep on Truckin'" but ya still have ta' keep things in "Perspective!!!!"
    Blue Skyz!!,
    skybill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Skybill! Thanks for commenting!

      You make a good point - simple is not inherently enough; it is very important not to do stupid things along the way. Simple will not inherently cure foolish.

      I actually made a skydive in 2022. It was both a greatly exhilarating and greatly terrifying event: https://thefortyfive.blogspot.com/2022/09/free-falling-from-plane.html?m=1

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!