Friday, August 30, 2024

Sunday Morning 0800

This past weekend I made a conscious decision not to bring my computer to The Ranch - not only because the keyboard makes me reluctant to risk more damage but given my lack of time and InterWeb access when I am present there means there is neither purpose nor need to have it.  And so my mornings were unspoiled by the outside world except for periodic openings of the garage doors to give light to clean it out.

The morning here is surprisingly cool and damp - an unanticipated August rain the day before has left all clean and unexpectedly like Autumn.  It also indirectly kept away the typical Summer tourists and their sounds on the road:  almost no civilizational noise is present.


But the world is not without noise:  small bird song penetrates the morning breeze that transverses the screen doors between the front and the back of the house which is on the linear transit between them.  Out the back door, to the southeast and past the trees - perhaps as far as the main road in - the woods fill with goblin shrieks and howls as the wild turkeys sing songs of love and combat and the gleanings on the forest floor.  

The house is silent except for the monotonous ticking of the clocks.  I had to replace the battery in one of them this trip; the fact that it had essentially slowed down its interpretation of time while time had not in the least slowed down is not lost on me.



This living room, indeed this house, sits as silently and as empty as the world outside now.  The garage behind me on the couch has been sorted and with the exception of the furniture in some rooms, all the remaining items are be sold and gone except for those items we are keeping which are now boxed up in my parents' bedroom waiting for a final location.

The silence is overwhelming.  It echoes in my ears now in a way that it never does now that I live in the land of activity and noise.  The electrons of creation create a hum of action in my ears, the sound of pen and paper as I draft this is loud to me.  I can hear it, the scratch and tap of the pen coming on and off of the paper as I break the individual fibers, my thoughts almost burning through in the black ink like charcoal of a burned stick.  


Looking from the couch, the sunlight creates odd shadows and glares in the hallway that is now cleared of the family pictures that used to hang there - the bare walls of a life ending or beginning.

How does one process this, this intersection of beginnings and endings, of the silence and simplicity of nature against the roar of civilization that awaits me with its frenetic activity and constant flow of information?


In the distance a woodpecker about its business hammers into a tree.  I, too, must eventually be about mine.

12 comments:

  1. Nylon126:48 AM

    Modern Civilizations makes its presence known in so many places, especially with its jets, heard or seen by the contrails. The ending of most connections to The Ranch and more connections to the beginnings of New Home 2.0 can complicate thinking. Enjoy the solitude and take those mental photos TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we still have our "modern civilization" signs Nylon12: Overflight by commercial airlines is quite common (we are in a major flight path is one of the biggest).

      To your (and Tree Mike's) point below, perhaps what leaks out in my writing is the difficulty of building a life in two places. I will say that I felt encouraged, nay driven, to write this particular entry last Sunday.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like mom and dad's old place. I loved sitting there listening to the birds and wind. I agree with Nylon12, take all the mental photos you can.

    My new place is off a farm to market road. The small town is very quiet normally. Chickens, birds, a dog barking.... crunch of gravel if someone drives by.... distant whoosh of a truck on the FM road. I love it. I sit and listen and can't believe how aurally clean it is. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to lock these things into place STxAR. Because you never really know.

      Your new place sounds amazing. A lack of sound pollution - along with a lack of light pollution - are things that modern civilization has stripped us of.

      Delete
  3. I grew up in a farm house that was without a television and a mile from the closest neighbor. "The silence is overwhelming" is an apt description of many of our evenings as our family read books for entertainment. We would occasionally have guests stay with us a few days and after the first evening, perhaps two, silence would creep in and we would pick up our books. Our guests would get incredibly uncomfortable, A by not usually needing a book for entertainment and B, by the overwhelming silence. More than a few of our guests would eventually make up some excuse about needing to cut their trip short and return back to the world of sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - Interestingly this is a difference that has come up with The Ravishing Mrs. TB's visit to New Home 2.0 this weekend: I am completely used to an apartment which is silent pretty much throughout the day and weekend while she very much enjoys a much more vibrant atmosphere. Not wrong of course, just different.

      I do need to avoid getting in the habit of a completely silent life; given where I live it is not fully possible and will only complicate things someday.

      Delete
  4. The feel of this post is that you're selling the homestead. Did I miss something? My last impression was that it would "work out" for you to buy the place. Hope that is still in the works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tree Mike - You did not miss anything, the plan is still to keep it. I think this post came out of a combination of the wistfulness of effectively not being able to put off certain decisions anymore combined with working out some of the issues with dividing everything - or at least, dividing everything in my mind.

      The other is that there is a challenge - noted above - in that I have some aspects of building a new life in New Home 2.0 while figuring out the steps for The Ranch and the trailing aspects of familial and housing commitments in New Home. I feel strung out between places and lacking a sense of rootedness.

      Delete
  5. I think you are thinking about the right things, TB, and will come to a good place. I can be very content with solitude at times, perhaps too content, and am always trying to find the right balance. Always a process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. To be honest, even to think such thoughts sometimes feel like straying too far from home. But a couple of things are clear: we cannot move now and we do not know when or what that might look like. Given that, trying to strike the right chords is, as you say, a balance.

      Delete
  6. Hubby and I had times when we would make short trips and not take our computers.
    And hubby and I used to feel the same about mowing. Especially when we would take a break to just sit.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it is definitely an experiment in non-modern living - funny, because 20 years ago I would never have taken a laptop anywhere except for work.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!