Thursday, August 22, 2024

The Collapse: CLVIII: Worry

17 August 20XX+1

Dear Lucilius:

It’s Pompeia Paulina.

I had to make Seneca promise to 1) let me write and 2) promise not to read it. He was agreeable to the second but the first one – let me write to you or, as he put it, “Write a letter to a person we will likely never see”, seemed to confuse him to no end.

Men. Always thinking there has to be some greater purpose and that people cannot just write to talk. How you made it without us remains a mystery to me sometimes.

I worry about him, Lucilius. He has been hyper-focused on almost everything seemingly not here at home. He kept calculating and talking about wheat for almost three weeks straight: how much would it be, how many would it feed, how would it get here. It got so bad I finally had to say something – well to be honest, I cried. That finally seemed to get his attention in a way that my hints did not (I am not surprised by that – so many men I have known seem clueless to things that my girlfriends I would instantly pick up on. Then again, Seneca has commented on other things that completely passed me by. It all balances out I suppose.).

Seneca is worried about food. I am worried about food too, but my circle of worry is a lot smaller than his. Mine extends primarily to my daughter and son-in-law and my husband. The rest of the world is much less to me at this time.

I know. Seneca often rambles on about our obligations to the larger whole and about somehow saving a sliver of civilization. And don’t get me wrong – I admire that sort of devotion to something greater than one’s self; it’s one of the things I find so attractive about him. But there has to be a limit to altruism.

And that limit for me is a pretty small circle.

I worry this Winter will be worse than the last one – not only because we were still living off the end of being able to buy things but because there is something in my heart that tells me it will be. A cast to the sun, a smell on the wind. I can’t define it more than that, other than to tell you that my ability to tell when Winter is coming – and a bad Winter at that – has been spot on almost since we moved here.

I think I have managed to pull Seneca’s attention back here at last: his efforts in the garden and greenhouse have been focused and we are getting a small stock of food set aside. Protein is my biggest concern right now: the quail eggs are nice but small and not as reliable in Winter. We have made trial runs of sun-drying fish; it was okay but not great and we really could use more salt to make it better.

I need to find more somewhere.

And I worry about Pompeia Paulina and Young Xerxes as well – Xerxes has the same sort of “community mindset” that Seneca does but to a larger degree. Sooner or later he will have to get his focus settled where it needs to be – although I will leave that to my daughter as she is more than capable enough.

I don’t know if writing this down means some sort of psychic emanations flow from it to you; I certainly hope they do and that you can spare a thought for us, as I know we (and especially Seneca) do for you.

Your friend, Pompeia Paulina


12 comments:

  1. Nylon126:09 AM

    Oh gosh! Who knew there were differences between women and men? The stuff you learn everyday TB......... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - Probably a lesson I get reminded of twenty times a day. You would think at my age I would finally learn....

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:33 AM

    Its a good point Pompeia brings up. Worry about what is under your control and less worry about what is beyond your control. What will happen will happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - That is a great (and odd) observation. I have been re-reading the Stoic philosopher Epictetus. That is very much a message of Classical Stoicism. How remarkable that it crept in - that was not at all intentional.

      Delete
  3. Very nice to hear from Pompeia Paulina and get her perspective. I think you portray one of the differences between men and women pretty well, i.e. the focus on family versus society in general. Not a matter of right or wrong, but a way to preserve a balance. For Seneca, that old saying came to mind, but in reverse, "he can't see the trees for the forest."

    For the story's sake, though, we now have a hint of something to come. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - If I sit and think on it even for a moment, that is exactly how it works in our family as well. The Ravishing Mrs. TB is far more likely to give thought to family related issues while I am off chasing the windmills of the Collapse of Western Civilization.

      In terms of the story to come - I can only imagine in what is looking to be a subsistence society at least in the short term the need to look that far ahead weighs on the mind, especially for those who have lived through the seasons there and know what is coming. One has to be very attuned to the local conditions and situation for that to occur.

      Delete
  4. Salt is very important. Salt in history has been a reason for wars and priced in times of shortage in gold.

    Salt even today is historically cheap because of its many uses we've created massive mines and systems to produce and purify it.

    Much like Wheat and other cereal crops.

    Worry that does nothing is a sin. Worry that generates thought and action is worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael - Salt as a prep is one of those things I have an odd relationship with, perhaps just because it is such useful stuff. Even in my very "urban" living situation it has a big place in the manufacture of cheese. And maybe if I am brave this year I will try salting some pork.

      One of the memorable scenes from Pat Frank's "Alas,Babylon" was the expedition made specifically to get salt. It probably struck readers then as oddly as it strikes a lot of people now - after all, is not salt everywhere?

      Delete
    2. Awhile back, I blogged about canning something and mentioned that I always added salt at the time of canning. It was a prepper thing, I said. People thought that was odd (most apparently add salt when they open the jar). Someone asked if I thought there could be a scarcity of salt at some point, to which I could only say, I don't know, but whoever guessed that toilet paper would disappear for months on end?

      Delete
    3. Right? These things are not issues until suddenly they are -although prior to 2020 who could imagine such a thing? After all, we were a First World Country with the supply chain that ran around the world. How could something as mundane as toilet paper go missing?

      Delete
  5. Salt, cooking oil are some of the hardest things to get when Walmart shuts down. Salt is cheap. Cooking oil I was pricing yesterday. Wow, premium gasoline is cheaper per gallon.

    I looked at my receipts over the past 6 months because I bought a 2-liter WM olive oil and compared it to my current buy.

    50% higher for WM brand olive oil in 6 months.

    Tempus fugit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I have not followed expenses to that extent but in buying some here in New Home 2.0 I found the price had definitively jumped.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!