Friday, December 29, 2023

Greece 2023: The Last Column

 

Pella

Friends - Thanks so much for your willingness to accompany me to Greece.  Documenting this journey took a lot longer than I anticipated - 51 posts (plus this one, all now located here) for what was a two week trip.  The fun thing for me has been the ability to revisit all of these places once again.


Bust of King George of Greece, assassinated in Thessaloniki Greece in 1913.  The White Tower is behind - Thessaloniki, Greece

This was an odd trip in that it was not one that I had really known I wanted to do, until the opportunity to do it presented itself.  That said, I can hardly imagine not having made the trip now.  So much history, so much philosophy, so much religion - all of the things I love wrapped up into a two week tour.

The Great Meteora - Meteora, Greece

Long time readers know that usually I have a "Rule of Five" that I like to post after I have taken a trip like this, five things I have learned or five things I have pondered.  In point of fact I do not have anything like that this time.  Chalk it up to the nature of the trip, chalk it up to "I was between jobs (the first time) and just enjoying life", chalk it up lack of imagination - but I do not have anything of the kind this time.  Just an abiding thankfulness that I was able to go and see so much of the history I have read about for so many years.

Roadside Memorial Stand - Similar to our roadside crosses

If I had one comment or piece of advice, it would be to go.  Just go.  Go see where the opening salvos of Western Civilization came forth and were nurtured long enough to set roots down to eventually expand to (in some cases) the entire world. Go see the stones and dirt streets, the valleys and monasteries, the empty temples and fortresses, where our understanding of so much of our world really started.


Just go.



4 comments:

  1. Nylon126:39 AM

    Glad to have this journey take as long as it did and thanks for all the effort you put into it TB, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and you are welcome, Nylon12. It really was one of the "once in a lifetime" events.

      Delete
  2. Great series TB. So many interesting things. I understand now why there is a significant American ex-pat community living in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh! Yes, I can see the attraction for relocating in Greece as well.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!