Saturday, December 02, 2023

Of Batteries, Charging, And Fathers

 Two weeks ago or so when I got my Thanksgiving week schedule from Produce (A)Isle, I was a little surprised.  I expected not to work on Thursday (Thanksgiving) as it is a desirable shift and time and a half (and a shorter work day, which means the full time people have to be balanced in).  What I did not anticipate was not working on the preceding Tuesday.

That was a surprise as I had not asked for the time off and if there is any day I work during the week, it will be Tuesday.  Again, I chalked it up to balancing schedules and looked forward to the evening off.

Until Tuesday actually happened.

It started out with a dead car battery, which I was able to jump and get on the road - now running a bit behind.  It continued when I had to return home, having realized about a mile away I had forgotten my computer bag with its computer.  And it had a grand ending when, walking out of the office, the car was dead (again), precipitating a call home to get Nighean Bhan to come down and give me a jump after an attempt from a coworker' car met with bitter failure (due mostly, it seems, to the placement of their battery effectively under the dashboard of their car).

By the time I rolled into the house it was well after 1800 in the darkness, where I then had to take action via a battery charger to charge my car back up.

Pulling the battery charge down (A Black and Decker Model, back when that brand was still a thing) always makes me think of TB The Elder, who bought it for me.  I cannot remember the precise moment he gave it to us, but I am sure it was before we had moved to New Home.  Undoubtedly he had given it to me after some incident where a battery went down.  Unlike a lot of things I have owned over the years, the charger remains in pristine condition, inside its barely worn box.  Plugging it in and listening to its clicks as the slowly charges and looking at the pristine cords, I was reminded of my father.

And then it struck me that had I been working that evening, I would have been completely stressed about getting to work and then working while I had a car in the parking lot that I did not know would restart or not and then having to come home and charge the battery. Instead of being stressed, I was at some level of peace - also some level of aggravation of course, and a little bit of disappointment as my evening plans had fallen apart, but peace.

It is remarkable to me that, looking down the corridors of eternity, God took the time to apparently see ahead that I would not have a working battery that particular evening and so kindly arranged it so that I did not have to work.  It is less remarkable (in that sense) but no less comforting that a gift my father gave me years ago continues to provide for us even though he is now gone.

Fathers - Eternal and earthly - continuing to look after us even though we cannot see them.

12 comments:

  1. Nylon125:58 AM

    A Dad looking out for his son even though it took years for that act of thoughtfulness to appear. That's what parents do eh? Let's hope that battery keeps that charge what with winter a coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have used it once twice before Nylon12. It just especially struck me at this instance.

      It still seems to be holding strong - not sure what the original issue was.

      Delete
  2. Amen, TB.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The older ones are almost immortal. Dad gave you a DURABLE, USEFUL gift, with love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did, TM. And I have had multiple reasons to thank him for this one.

      Delete
  4. That turned into a lovely post, TB. Hubs has given battery chargers to all of sons once upon a time. I wonder how long they'll hang onto theirs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becki.

      Hopefully, they hold on as long as they need to charge a battery.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:54 AM

    We have examples of this as well. Yesterday, my wife and I had to buy hay bales for our cattle. The gate chain had become wedged tightly in part of the gate that would not allow it to open. Sphere we were, with a trailer of hay with no way to cross it.

    Earlier, getting dressed for the trip, I came across a multi-tool which had pliers. For some reason, I took it with me. I know now why that thought crossed my mind. One of my guardian angels whispered it inmyear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely believe in such things as I, too, have experienced them. Although in the past I have tended to downplay them, now I generally just do what they suggest. I do not pretend to see into the future, but it has always worked out well for me when I did so.

      Delete
  6. I have a similar charger sitting pristinely in a box. However, I bought it after a similar incident and to date, have only used it once to charge up a lawnmower battery which is conveniently located under the seat where jumper cables can be attached but one cannot attempt to start the machine until they are unattached and the seat back in place and completing some circuit. Removing the battery and charging it with my charger seemed to be the only solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, the Gator at The Ranch has similar issues. Easiest to pull the battery out and charge it.

      I can happily report this unit works remarkably well.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!