Friday, December 15, 2023

Highways And Offramps

 This week has been a gamut of emotions.

I have tried to keep myself busy.  Raked leaves at the base of the driveway, until the Cowboy and said "Let me show you how to use your dad's tractor so you can load the leaves in the bucket".  So I got to drive the tractor, which was fun.

Spent most of yesterday playing "landlord" down at The Cabin, cleaning gutters and blowing pine needles and leaves off of roofs and using the tractor (again) to haul them away.  Saw my Aunt and Uncle and the sister and The Outdoorsman.

I have also tried to set everything up for restarting the job search.  Filed my unemployment claim (Due to the way the law works, I cannot actually file for a financial claim until 27 December, over two weeks after my layoff).  Cleared out and recreated my spreadsheets to start tracking applications again.  Revised my resume to add my most recent job (a small revision, to be sure).  

I have had some developments.  One ex-colleague has offered to talk to me about consulting.  Another friend has reached out with a position in New Home at the company I came from two companies ago, when we first moved to New Home.  Having a potential opportunity is good; the thought of having to commute that much again makes me sad.

To be somewhat honest, the "looking at the bright side" has faded a bit.

I know that this is a gamut experience and a long haul sort of thing. And I keep reminding myself that God is clearly in control here and I am (in that sense) just along for the ride.  And yet...

And yet I feel, perhaps, trapped.  If either of these works, it is an immediate answer to a question that needs answering and at least for one of the options, would pretty clearly demonstrate that God wants us to stay in New Home for at least some time longer (after all, why else would He keep arranging things to keep us here).  But either of them feels like "more of the same" - what it really feels like is the last slow exhaling of anything of anything but what is reality now.

Of course, none of that is certain - it is Day Five, I remind myself.  But I remain shocked at how quickly I feel deflated, that somehow the walls are already closing in. I have barely started a new search and already I feel like there is only one highway, a long one in the same direction that I have already been going instead of the offramp I was thinking this was.

It is too early to tell, of course.  But keeping myself out of a spiraling circle of despair or depression may require more attention than I anticipated.

20 comments:

  1. Praying for you TB. I have no idea if God is directing you or trying to mature particular aspects in your character. It all boils down to learning to trust and not fret; probably some of the hardest lessons to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh and yes, I think it is likely aspects of both - because both are a challenge. Part of the fact it suggests maturing is the fact I am not a week into this and I am freaked out about a simple conversation about something that has not manifested.

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:44 AM

    Prayers for you and yours TB have been in the rotation for some time. Guess it's pretty easy for a blog reader like me to say "Stiff upper lip" from a distance and yet it is early in the process, eh? Considering the number of posters here you are not alone and there is the Big Guy after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thanks for the prayers Nylon12.

      Part of my struggle is that I tend to end run cases in my mind; I have a wild imagination and it is not always in my favor. In this case what complicates the matter is my imagination only generally seems to see the bad parts of things instead of the good parts of things, the dour instead of the beneficial. It is easy to see the dour our course; we know it. In the example I gave above, I know the commute, I know the traffic, I know the hours. What I do not know is the change in personnel and corporation and work - how could I know, as I have no idea?

      But God does. That, I have to remind myself of and tamp down the dourness and have it as a "Yes, there is that, but...".

      Delete
  3. It's really hard to trust God. No offense intended as I often struggle with that "Give it to God and LET GO" stuff.

    Worry that immobilizes you is a sin and foolish (as time still marches on) worry that motivates you to reflection-planning and DOING is in my humble opinion something would approve. After all He did create us and included our wetware 1.0 in the design?

    You're in my prayers friend, HE is trustworthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. It is probably not a surprise that I struggle with this for folks that have read me for a while. I am trying to use my worry constructively as you suggest and not be immobile.

      Many thanks for the prayers.

      Delete
  4. My home state has a similar rule about how soon you can apply for unemployment benefits after being laid off and a complicated set of rules on how to maintain them once you start receiving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, the same here: must look for work X amounts per day, must have a sheet, cannot travel out of country, etc. Thanks to the last go around, I am far more cognizant of them this time.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2:15 PM

    This is a tough time- looking around at the state of the world, normalcy bias seems like a dangerous hole to crawl into.
    The basics- why do you want to work? Does it do anything besides feed the system? What do you want to do? How much money do you need to generate to keep ends met? Are the ends worth meeting? Is there anything you want to learn that has potential for income and satisfaction?
    when I read your blog it seems like the ranch is calling to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - It is certainly not an ideal time by any stretch of the imagination. Still, I at least got something not a lot of others got through the furlough.

      Those are all good questions and things I am walking through. The Ranch certainly does call, but it is a number of states away and would require a significant rearrangement of our lives - doable, but we will need to be thoughtful about it.

      Delete
  6. Well shoot, TB, I get sick and miss a couple days and come back to this news! I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sbrgirl - I know, right? A couple days out of the saddle and the whole things comes undone.

      While not completely a surprise, obviously the timing could have been a bit better. Still, we have a lot to be thankful for.

      Delete
  7. Two companies ago. A long drive kills enthusiasm for the job if it's not the one for you. I don't remember why you left that one, sorry.
    Consulting is something you could do from anywhere, right?
    Since you are going to Japan in January for training, perhaps you should not make an immediate choice unless you feel God is definitely leading you.
    Though I know that is what you will do.
    Enjoy the holidays and your training for now, TB.
    Praying for you, of course.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - I originally left that job due a combination of my current reporting structure at the time (the person who suddenly became my new manager was not a competent one; subsequent events proved that out) and the fact I had no-where to go.

      Consulting is something I can do from anywhere and something I am talking to other people about. It has its own set of issues, of course - no job is perfect.

      My intent - at the moment anyway - is that I will enjoy the holidays, talk as the opportunity allows, and train in January. As the money is all spent, there is no point in not going and training - and given hiring processes these days, I cannot imagine anything happening more quickly than that.

      The prayers are much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Filthie7:21 PM

    Condolences TB. I know what it’s like to try and work in an unstable and volatile job market. It makes you question yourself it’s easy to get down on yourself. Stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen. Actually, your experience has been a lot in my thoughts this week and has been helpful. I am trying not to dwell on any given emotion but let them all flow by as they come.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry, TB. The times are strange but it'll work out one way or another. Keep looking up & not behind. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers.
    your friend,
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobo. I have no doubt things will work out for the best, although difficult to see at the moment. Your prayers are very much appreciated.

      Delete
  10. I'm reading backwards again, so I know Leigh (and I know, others) gave you useful fodder for chewing on - which is good. This sounds like normal emotional up and down anyone would feel in these circumstances, TB. Praying for you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki. I am typically not an up and down emotional person at random, which is why this is surprising to me.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!