Sunday, December 31, 2023

A 2023 Thank You

Friends - 

As has become customary at this time of year, I would like to to take the opportunity of the last post of the year to say thank you to you, the readers of this blog.

As someone who at least alleges in theory to be a writer,  my deepest desires is that one's writing is a) read; and b) makes some sort of impact on the lives of others.   Thankfully - and it is due to you - I have some hope that I have done so.

So thank you.

Thanks for taking to the time read.  Thanks especially for taking the time to comment, if it is only occasionally (or for some, the first time).  Thank you for listening to me ramble on about life and my life and the issues in it.

Time is the most valuable of commodities:  it cannot be preserved or stored, only spent.  Too often the value of it is only realized in retrospect.  To the extent that all of you have spent part of your time with me, I am deeply indebted.

2023 has been a challenging year.  Sure, we have had lots of high points:  two of Na Clann graduating (one from high school, one from college), the trip to Greece, the hikes throughout the Summer and to Mt. Goddard (almost).  But there have been a lot of difficult points as well, including the hike to Mt. Goddard (almost) and losing not one but two jobs with (at this writing) an unknown future until the next one appears.

Through all of it, I have always had this blog to fall back on to express (or vent) my feelings.  For that, I am grateful.

I do not know (at all) what 2024 will bring.  Whatever it brings, I will continue to do my best to document it and, hopefully in some small way, to make the world a better place through writing.

Your Most Obedient Servant,

Toirdhealbheach Beucail

12 comments:

  1. Nylon125:06 AM

    Thanks for sharing the journey of you and yours this past year TB, it's been informative and fun to check in each morning to see what's "popped up" (two little words that don't cover all the work put it). To quote someone...."The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began".....this next year if we're lucky perhaps we'll get to see more of that Road. A Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your clan TB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - Right glad I am that I can add something to your morning (you are right: the words do not quite cover the effort but all is okay; like it or not, I will be writing).

      One of the pleasures that this format has given me over the years is I do not know what is coming up for the next year. Likely that makes for some less than stellar posts, but it also allows the freedom to post as things do happen, which means sometimes I never lack for material.

      Life, as Ferris Bueller said, moves pretty fast. If you do not take a moment and smell the roses, you will miss it.

      Delete
  2. Filthie8:58 AM

    Happy New Year TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Glen! Hope you are all not frozen out yet.

      Delete
  3. May 2024 be a little less exciting... at least job wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is hoping, Ed. I have to admit that as I have had this week to think on things, the fact that I was hit twice in the same industry has actually created a lot of stress or anxiety about continuing to look for a job in the industry. I do not want to do this in another six months.

      Delete
  4. You are a regular read for me and have been for a while. Thank you. I am a lousy commenter. Please forgive me and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, thank you and no apologies are necessary. The fact you take the time to read is reward enough.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your writing efforts. I know you've confessed to some "insecurity" issues, but as a Geezer, I can assure you, you're "all that AND a bag chips". Meaning, that I have great confidence in your job search and life management efforts. You're detail oriented, thorough, persistent, qualities that get results. Could you fail? Sure, but from circumstances outside your control.
    Again, thanks for the entertainment and education, we appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TM - It probably does not surprise you that I have often be reminded that I "overthink" such things (a fancy word for "I worry too much"). Sometimes it become difficult to see the good in ourselves because we are always picking apart the weak points we know better than anyone else. And of course, I only see the things I cannot control.

      Thanks for reading (and commenting)!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous7:50 PM

    Happy New Tear to you and your family, TB. And thank you for your writing: from your day-to-day obervations, travelogues, descriptions of the Ranch to 'The Collapse', I read regularly and with great pleasure (though I don't comment often).

    I hope that your job struggles are soon resolved.

    Best wishes DJB Hunter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJB - Happy New Year to you as well.

      I am gratified you enjoy the blog and read regularly (makes it all worthwhile, it does). Like realizing at some point that I was not going to make a living doing this, I realized that just because people do not comment does not mean the blog is not read - and it being read is the really important part (at least for me, the writer).

      Thanks for your kind thoughts on the job situation. I have every confidence it will be resolved in a way none of us, including myself, could have foreseen.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!