Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Hammerfall 3.0

 "...We interrupt our normally scheduled travel post this morning for an urgent update from our valiant fighters on the front lines.  We take you to our intrepid reporter located deep within the trenches of No-Man’s Land...."

The whole thing started out - as these things do - with an oddly placed question from one of my direct reports.

"Do you know what happened to X?"  was the question. "I cannot send an e-mail to her anymore".

I went and looked at our org chart program.  The name was no longer listed.

"Probably let go" I responded.  My company has an odd way of silently "disappearing" people that the KGB would admire for its efficiency.

"That is sad" was the response.  "She was helping me with a number of things."

I then got an email from my boss.  "Would you be able to move our meeting on Monday to Tuesday?  I will be in town."

I did not specifically remember her being in town - budget constraints and all - but said that was not a problem, although I would not be able to meet with her in person as I was at The Ranch, which we had clearly communicated about for a month.  No worries she said; the invite was moved.

I mentioned both of the incidents to my work confidante, the Dog Whisperer.  "Did you about Y?" was her response. "She got laid off this morning after coming back from maternity leave."  She then asked "Your meeting is not scheduled in the conference room of The Black Hole, right?  Because that is where they lay people off".

I then checked the conference room schedule.  Sure enough, I was not in The Black Hole - but the conference room that I was in was also scheduled at the same time with the HR department.  For two and a half hours.

Clever readers will start to do the math.

By the end of the day my meeting had moved again to even earlier (0815) and was now overlapping with the Dog Whisperer's meeting in the same room at at 0845 (my meeting was for an hour).  We triangulated with other work acquaintances, who also suddenly now had early morning meetings of 15 minutes in duration.  Also, it was noted that both the conference room I was in and The Black Hole were occupied by HR, one for 4.5 hours, one for 2.5 hours.  Using our higher math superpowers, that was a total of up to 28 people.  

By 1700 I was 95% certain to the point I called The Ravishing Mrs. TB and had documented a list of everything I was working on.  Because, you know, you can never be too sure.

The good news, I suppose, is that my psychic powers (at least in this aspect) were 100% right.

The actual event was better than I expected (final count was 20).  Officially I am "furloughed", which means they (in theory) have every hope of rehiring me in 6 to 9 months.  I have two choices: I can take a two week severance pay and 1 month of benefits, or retain my furloughed status and have my severance pay applied to my benefits package (which would be 4 months, so ending in April).  No vacation payout of course, as we had an "endless vacation" policy with no actual earned PTO.

Obviously being laid off twice in one year is not an ideal situation (especially from a single industry), but things could have been a lot worse - for example, four months of benefits means one less thing to worry about.  I have my job at Produce (A)Isle that is ongoing and I can always see about a few more hours there, whereas last time I had nothing.  And apparently furlough status does not interfere with unemployment (which, as soon as I get my formal paperwork, I will get on resubmitting a claim with the learnings from earlier this year).

But - at least for me, if I look really hard at this - Someone's fingerprints are all over this.

I am at The Ranch this week, which means I am around my social group.  I had previously set up a dinner on Monday night with The Director, which was exactly the dinner I needed to have with the person I needed to have it with (Best opening in the door line ever in response to "How are you doing?":  "I am getting laid off tomorrow.  Huzzah!").  And my usual Friday call with Rainbow on writing got moved to Monday because of timing - again, just when I needed it to happen.  And who better to blow off steam with and complain than with Uisdean Ruadh, who is literally 100 yards away from where I write?  Plus seeing my sister and The Outdoorsman.  And my in-laws. And my mother, of course.  

And being here at The Ranch.

There is more to be thankful for - yes, we just put down a lot of money for a roof down payment and a brake job, but that had to be done anyway, and we did it without having to agonize over the decision.  My training is Japan this coming January is 100% paid for thanks to the job at Produce (A)Isle by 31 December, the last paycheck for the year.  Na Clann  will be home for Christmas. And we all have our health.

Long time readers know that I have struggling these last three or four months with a sense of purpose and direction - to the point that Sunday night I prayed that God would clearly give me some sense of what direction I should go.  Apparently the response needed to be clear enough that even I could not miss it:

Me: "I wonder what I should do?"

Circumstances:  "God enters the chat..."

Is it a rather unfortunate occurrence that it happened right before Christmas? Well sure, the timing is not great - except my Product (A)Isle schedule is already baked and suddenly I have a lot more time to actually partake in and enjoy the season and my family and all the blessings that we truly do have, that this change in fortune cannot take away.

Your prayers and kind thoughts are both solicited and appreciated; something will obviously have to be done and decided upon because we are not in anything like a position of being able to retire.  But to be clear, while an inconvenience this is not the end of the world for us.  It is just a sort of opportunity to recalibrate and figure out what "that next step" is, to quote Resident Optimist Ed.

Besides, there is never a time like the present to completely decide to reimagine your life, by choice or by circumstance.

30 comments:

  1. Nylon124:48 AM

    Timing, events happening, did I mention timing? And all at this season, at least you have a chance to take a deep breath and enjoy the lack of hurry, eh? Not optimal but Someone had a hand in this unfolding the way it did. Prayers out that another paying opportunity presents itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So....you're saying something about timing, right?....

      Nylon12, I am making do with the best we have at this point. To be clear, money is a mild concern (even I am not that carefree) - and fairly immediate one. But at the moment that die is cast. And as mentioned above, the schedule is largely baked at this point until the end of the year, so there is little I can do to change it (and at least immediately for the sake of unemployment, I can work limited hours anyway). So like or or not by gum, I am going to enjoy the season.

      Thanks for the prayers.

      Delete
  2. What? I confess to being a wee bit shocked by this news. It seems to have hit so suddenly. Being a believer in prayer and Providence does help one to take it in stride, even if it does seem a bit unfair. Except that fairness from a human perspective is pretty much overrated, I think.

    I'm sorry for the circumstances, but proud of you for pretty much taking it in stride. Not the sort of thing one wants a lot of practice with, but we do live in unusual times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, the timing is a bit odd - I would have expected this to happen last week honestly, right after the board of directors meeting (but am grateful for the 1.5 extra weeks). But the overall trajectory? No, not really a surprise.

      In terms of fair, I have to be honest that I had been running these scenarios for the last month and I was the logical one in my department to lay off purely from a "what work needs to be accomplished" scenario. My two direct reports are directly enabling things; I was working on longer term and higher goals. So at least in my mind, I was the correct choice given the work circumstances (not our own personal circumstances, of course).

      Thank you twice - both for the empathy and for my management of it. To be honest with you, my biggest concern are some of my coworkers who may not have my social net or resources. In this, as in anything else, being the example is something we should always seek to do.

      Agreed this is not something one wants to acquire a skill in - that said, this seems to be the world in which we live.

      Delete
  3. Puzzling.

    But is not "you". They are throwing everything out of the basked of the hot-air balloon. Must be the powerlines are higher than originally anticipated.

    It is not you.

    I will add you to my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ERJ - From what I know, the only uncertain nature of it (as referenced above) is the timing; I would have expected earlier. But knowing what I know in terms of the bolus of work to be accomplished and the current fund raising environment (insert the word "dismal" here), not a surprise. To your analogy - a very good one, I might add - the power lines are much higher than they had realized and ballast had to be dumped quickly.

      It is only "me" in the sense of the situation, not me personally (but thank you for reminder - I always have an issue getting down on myself). Everyone I talked to seemed truly saddened by this and the fact that I received an option to decide my fate instead of having it decided (not true of everyone let go yesterday) leaves me confident that my work and value were not in question; the ability of the company to pay (and/or survive) was.

      Thank you very much for the prayers.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:05 AM

    God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Anon. To judge by how I am feeling about this (even one day later), He surely is.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:13 AM

    I'm hoping the person in charge of 'One door closes - another opens' is already on this development. Never a good time to be furloughed.

    A couple of years ago, our office had to furlough two of us draftsman because of lack of temporary work. I was allowed to stay on, while two of my coworkers were given time off, with promise that this wasn't permanent, management wanted them back so to please not wander off too far.

    Not enough work for three, but I was busier than a one armed paperhanger in a hurricane (my apologies to one armed paper hangers) and i wasn't getting extra $$$ for a very busy day. I was glad to see my coworkers back - i was quickly getting burnt out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I am hopeful - nay, I will say "confident" - that the said person in charge is as well.

      It is not a good time to be furloughed (or laid off, for that matter). My industry already is experiencing a precipitous loss in jobs and in a somewhat new development, companies in my space are now pre-emptively laying people off even though they have sufficient funding. That does not speak well for the immediate future.

      Your experience is what I fear my remaining coworkers will experience - in fact, as I told the Dog Whisperer (she also got caught up in this), in some ways I am grateful. They will be under tremendous pressure not just to do the work and the additional work but from the fact that there is now a clearly clicking clock in the background, a metronome of potential doom (it was always there, it is just very evident now). In our cases, the cauterization was quick - yes, we have a lot to deal with, but that is not one of the things.

      Thanks very much for the story!

      Delete
  6. At least you had your eyes open friend. A lot of folks run the river called de-Nile until the raft flips over.

    Despite the "Best Economy EVAR" chatter by the Biden Admin the Bond Market has spoken. Companies used to low rates for funding have found themselves looking at next month's (maybe a bit more forward thinking but) re-fi and are distressed.

    Long getting out of debts. Long establishing trusted family and friends as the Great Depression stories of my family pointed out the drab truth of multi-generation families deciding what homes and farms to let go as to pay taxes and debts on the best for extended family life. Long family gardens and small livestock.

    You're in my prayers friend. God has a plan but sometimes we don't want that plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael - yes, this was overall no surprise. The timing could have been better for us given recent experiences, but there is it.

      As noted above, my industry (biopharmaceutical/medical device) is already undergoing contraction and in some cases, companies are pre-emptively laying people off as they at least see future funding opportunities as minimal (which, for the record, I concur with).

      The reality I am preparing for is not a quick resolution but working on potentially new directions, new fields, or even a series of jobs stitched together. My friend The Director noted he thought it was likely that my next new venture would be completely from left field.

      The prayers (and your continued advice) are much appreciated.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:01 PM

      Using the phone so short note. What home has a hand pump well with good water? Or maybe what home can be fitted with a hand pump? Water IS LIFE. A small solar set up gives nice options like a fan to cool or spread heat from the wood stove. Yep a wood stove and ability to get your own fuel is wealth when Hyperinflation gets going. Same with a garden,chickens and rabbits.

      I strongly believe that economic collapse is near by.

      Michael

      Delete
    3. Thanks Michael. Water is indeed life no matter where one is.

      It certainly does not look great, short or long term, on the economic front.

      Delete
  7. Ellie9:06 AM

    I have been reading your writings for a while and find something about your style comforting. When I read today’s title, I immediately thought “not again.” I wish the best for you, however things end up. I will continue reading to see how it all works out and to learn from your perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie - Thanks so much, both for the kind words and the good thoughts.

      Yes, it is a little concerning that I am getting enough experience in this area that essentially it has become its own byline - but I hope (as with everything else) that someone else finds it as a resource. The good news is I should have some more time coming up (unintentionally), so I can happily share.

      Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  8. I've never had 15 minute meeting schedules. All of mine have been someone stopping by my desk and asking if they can talk to me a few minutes and then leading me to slaughter in the Black Hole. I think I prefer that to sitting there and waiting for the axe to drop.

    But shoot man, that is really a kick in the pants at the worst time of the year for such things. However, according to the feds, the recession has not officially been averted and usually after the first of the year, with new budgets in hands, companies start hiring so perhaps you are in the catbird seat.

    Perhaps you should put more fate in other hands and toss out a few more resumes in the vicinity of the Ranch.

    I'll keep you and your family in my prayers for the coming while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - I will say that in spite of the ominous name, the actual process was pretty straightforward and humane. My boss read a prepared statement (no surprise there) and expressed her sorrow that this was the situation. The HR rep was sympathetic and answered questions as well. It was all done with humanity and respect (which was a change from last time, for sure).

      The timing? Well, yes, it could have been better - although I can now check that "Laid off at Christmas" on my Career Bingo card, as well as "Laid off twice in one year". But nothing says holiday traditions of declining markets like "layoff at Christmas".

      To be completely honest, I am not very hopeful for next year. The internal budget contraction is pretty significant and I am sure many companies are doing exactly what my company did, reviewing the numbers and tightening the purse strings. From what my network has told me, it is a long process now and positions can have up to 200 applicants.

      That said, the chances that a job in my current career in New Home will manifest itself is slim and none. Just too few companies. Perhaps remote - or as you say, no reason not to look around The Ranch at this point.

      The prayers are much appreciated.

      Delete
  9. I have read your blog for quite a while but never commented. I will be praying too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to comment. Your prayers are much appreciated.

      Delete
  10. Those fleece prayers can be boogers. During the bust of the late 80's, I asked God to meet at least 50% of my tuition. If he did, I'd quit my job and go back to school. He did about 67%, so I packed up and finished my degree.

    I and my first post college employer agreed to part ways after 6 months. I'd been volunteering at a radio station, and got hired as a broadcast engineer. And one day a week I worked for an Engineering company that managed rooftops for two way radio users. God was in it all.

    Take it in small bites. Don't fret too far ahead. Sufficient unto the day... Praying for you brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - Yes, they are risky, and I knew the risks when I prayed it. But feeling like I am being dragged multiple ways was getting too difficult to bear.

      That said, I do not know what the next step looks like. I am trying not to pre-dispose myself to any one thing or item, as it make me tighten my scope unconsciously. That said, I am confident it is out there.

      For now, I am trying to just make it through the end of the year and at least plan through the next 4 months.

      The prayers are indeed much appreciated.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous10:22 AM

    Painful learning experiences in life are often beneficial in the long run. I learned I was not cut out for corporate cut-throat politics, despite having an MBA. I learned as a consultant once I provided my best professional advice, I had done my duty; how the client proceeded then was not my problem. When my industry moved away from me after 2000, I discovered a new career as a substitute teacher in middle and high schools which I loved. That lasted 18 years. I have made it to 83 so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - One of the questions I find myself trying to answer is what is the best fit for me at this point. I can "do" lots of things, but one thing I am aware of is that I need some kind of challenge - not just the overwhelming "move the mountain" sort, but one that is achievable. And in some ways I have done almost everything I can in my current industry, which is some ways is nagging at my mind in my future job search: "more of the same" is not an encouraging sort of thing to drive one forward. To your point - and to my friend The Director's comment - it may very well mean that it is something out of "left field", not at all visible to me or my experience.

      Congratulations on making it to 83! My mother will turn 84 this year.

      Many thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  12. I pray for my friends and family every day. Thank the Lord you had already had contingencies in place, so to speak.
    A Blessed Holiday season to you all, TB.
    Merry Christmas, be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Linda - although I fear I have had to overuse the privilege of prayer this year. Indeed thankful that backups were in order.

      For once, I actually get to enjoy the holiday.

      Delete
  13. This is the most positive post about being laid off I think I've ever read. I'm glad for your outlook, TB, and glad for all the provisions you mention. Praying that your Christmas is filled with peace and thankfulness, and that a good job is available at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki!

      One thing that I have become more conscious of, especially being an older person in a company that is mostly filled with people younger than I, is being a good example - not just in the way I work but in the way I interact and handle situations like this. I never lived through a layoff for many years and cannot imagine what it would have been like at 24 and to see it happen. In fact, I might argue our conduct at times like this is precisely more important because it defines for others how one should approach the situation: with dignity, confidence, perhaps even a little humor.

      The first time one is laid off - like many things - one thinks it is the end of the world. Later, one finds out life goes on. If I can instill that message alone, it will have been worth it.

      Delete
  14. Sorry to hear this, TB. I've learned from reading your posts you are a pretty resilient guy, and your positive attitude and faith serve you well. Look forward to reading more about this. Pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob - although if my resilience has faded a bit (see today's post). It is a journey, as I have to remind myself - not just that God is in control, but I need to not put words in God's mouth.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!