Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Of Hobbit Houses And Farming Books

 Due to incremental weather this week, we ended up with all of Na Clann at home and not working/attending school.  I know that it always makes The Ravishing Mrs. TB happy to have them home.  I am happy too, although a bit less so when they absorb all the network bandwidth in an attempt to catch up on "Vampire Diaries"  (a show I literally have no idea what it involves except, apparently Vampires).

During the course of the day - when my bandwidth was a bit more available because they were watching "The Fellowship of The Ring", the youngest - Nighean Dhonn - pops into the living room.  "What if we built a hobbit house at The Ranch?"

Turns out as she was watching the movie, she found a video of someone that had built a hobbit house in New Zealand that was available for rental.  He spent about $3,000 or so on it.

She comes back in after a bit.  "Maybe I rethink my college goals - could I just live at the Ranch and farm?"

The following sound of silence was me screaming excitedly inside my head.

"Well..." I started - and then rapidly started explaining at a high level why a hobbit house might or might not work and what it would take possibly to do a farm.  My next reaction, of course, was to find a book - or books; in my case I have something like 70 or 80 books on agriculture/farming/homesteading on my shelf (my solution for everything is a book; if I can read it, I can do it).  I went to the hall and started pulling some off.

"Here"  I said.  "I have some overall books on starting a farm with ideas and how finance works.  You mentioned gardening - here's a book on that.  Oh wait, you might like something on agriculturalist philosophy (she enjoys Thoreau's Walden).  Here is a book by Gene Logsdon (The Contrary Farmer).  And here is a book by Wendell Berry (The Long Legged House) - wait, here is another one by Berry (The Unsettling of America).  It is old, but it is still true....Wait!  Here is a book by Leigh Tate:  Five Acres and A Dream:  The Sequel.  I know her - and she is doing what you said you want to do".

By the time we were done, I had given her a stack of ten books to read.  She is a reader, so she can read them if she decides she wants to.  I have no idea if she will.

But maybe that is not the point.

I have argued - as have many voices who are far more erudite and expressive than I - that if things are going to get better, it is because we start to build small communities of preserving knowledge and ways of life that can make it through whatever is coming.  That is built on communication, on a willingness to listen and talk and show.

Maybe she will read the books.  Maybe she will not.  But a quick seed got planted that day, a seed that I intend to let germinate and sit in the sun and rain for a while.  

Gardeners, whether growing plants or philosophies of people, have to be patient.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:05 AM

    Having an individual who is willing to pick up where you left office is a treasure indeed. My brother and I own some rural acreage where we hunt, hike and camp, inherited from my family. None of my children are interested in spending time there, much less doing necessary maintenance on fences and roads that are required. The fences are to too keep the neighbors livestock out of our property - we have no animals of our own so care, feeding and water is not required. My brother's family is much the same.

    So it is likely the property will be sold when we can no longer care for it. A real shame - nature is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - It is a treasure. In some ways my larger family is in the same place as you- lovely property that requires upkeep that perhaps I alone of a number of cousins am interested in for more than potential financial value. I do not really push the suggestion of one of my children necessarily "taking over" right now, as like with many things, it is a deeper connection if arrived at by themselves.

      The reality is that I do believe there are many people who would look at the property of you and your brother with the same eyes that you see it, they just may not be family members. In some ways I have had to come to terms with this as the important thing is ensuring the land is preserved and stewarded, not necessarily that I or those in my direct line do it. It was an adjustment, but I am a more comfortable place than I was about it a year ago.

      Delete
    2. I would love a place more like yours, or anon's. Yes, I love our property; but the farm land is slowly being eaten away by civilization.

      Not to mention the tornado that took out 5 of our trees and probably killed a couple others.

      What a blessing if your daughter goes to old home.
      Not sure about inviting strangers out; but maybe that is where the future lies.

      Good luck and God bless you all.

      Delete
    3. Linda, us as well. The developers are slowly creeping in. There is more than a good chance if I live long enough, I will see it surrounded by 5 acre plots of homes.

      Delete
  2. I have tried that tactic with my oldest but as soon as I start pulling books from the shelf, her eyes start glazing over. My newest tactic is to start a conversation with her and keep quoting from the book over and over until she asks if she can read it and then I smile and hand it to her.

    I am a big fan of monolithic domes made from a protective envelope, closed cell foam insulation and shotcrete in that order from outside to inside. A large number of them have been turned into underground "Hobbit" houses over the years and work well though they cost magnitudes more than $3k to construct. They are the only documented structures to have survived a direct hit by a Cat 5 hurricane, F5 tornado and wildfire. But I'm getting old enough now to realize my dreams of building one are fading fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That is a good tactic Ed, and I may borrow it.

      What an interesting idea. I see them now and again driving places; I had no idea they could be Hobbit houses (no reason not, I suppose) or their ruggedness.

      Delete
  3. I'm spending more time with my teenage nephew. He has begun helping me around here during the week. His dad is an addict, and mostly not in his life. We've talked about military service, manliness, and general life. He desires to be a recon scout. I mentioned a few things to him, saw the uncomprehending look and went to my library. I sent him home with three books the other day.

    I am much like you: if family isn't interested, there are other, worthy apprentices to be found.... At first Abram had Eliezer as an heir...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - This is a discussion I have had with others over the years. Just because those closest to us may not be interested in the things we are interested in does not mean we cannot serve as guides for others. Once upon a time, clans and tribes served this purposes, the individuals of the clan or tribe providing knowledge or guidance to those not necessarily their own direct kin. Good on you for doing so.

      Delete
  4. We spend out lives planting seeds, some take, some don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, once upon a time I used to feel like I failed every time a seed did not germinate. Now I understand that it is not alone something I do: sun, rain, wind, animals, and the seed itself can also all be reasons. All I can do is give it the best chance I can.

      Delete
  5. TB, I'm honored to be included in your book pile! (Ha. Somehow that didn't come out right. :) Logsdon and Berry are amongst my favorites on the subject. It's important to understand there's a huge difference between ecology minded farming and industrialized big business farming.

    If you have indeed planted a fruitful seed, steer her toward PERMACULTURE. Seriously, good permaculture consultants are in high demand, make a fantastic living, have worldwide travel opportunities, and do something extremely useful and fulfilling with their lives. You might have to do a bit of hunting for a university that offers a true permaculture degree program, but it would be worth it. The other option is a certified PDC and apprenticeship. She could practice on the Ranch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - I knew what you meant (but it made me laugh too)! Besides your writing and your practice of what you preach (Berry and Logsdon as well; in retrospect I may provide Fukuoka as well if she gets through this first batch) is that - frankly - you have a blog site and I can point her to pictures and posts about "Here is somebody doing this very thing".

      Permaculture. Why did I not think of this? That would completely fall right into what here interests are. And that would maybe get me a certified PDC in the family for "help"...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!