Thursday, February 03, 2022

The Death Of A Hopeless Romantic

The Hopeless Romantic that was me collapsed and died a horrible flaming death in the December of 1990.

For once, this is story which I can actually say involved exotic locales, whirlwind travel, lovely women, and and ending so final in its execution there would never be a sequel.  Almost a sort of spy thriller, except without the major star leading hero.  Just me.

In the summer of 1990 I took a 6 week sort of "study abroad" in Budapest, Hungary.  It was - to a political science major - a magical time:  Communism had just fallen and so even as we went to see an open country, the remnants of it were everywhere.  We sat through lectures with various professors (I heard an actual, unrepentant chain smoking Stalinist explain away the horrors of the Red Terror as a "misunderstanding"), saw the bullet marks in buildings from the 1956 uprising, and ate enough Hungarian Paprika for a lifetime.

I also managed to fall in love with another student.

To pre-Collapse Hopeless Romantic Me, this was no trick.  I regularly fell in love about 5 times a week.  The reasons for this are something I never really looked at as I should have (and now likely never will), but if there was a poster child for band/drama/role-playing/socially awkward nerd that seldom had a date or a girlfriend although badly wanted both, I was that poster child.  Add to that a healthy dose of Chivalric Romance picked up in books and I was a poetry writing, flower giving, swooning fool looking for a person to shower my attention upon.

The relationship survived that program and a visit to her parents in Germany and the trip back and the start of school year - she in Chicago, I in Old Home.  I would call late at night, the phone cord wrapped around the edge of the door to the garage to give some privacy, paying out excessive amounts of long distance phone time (if you understand this reference, you are officially old). I wrote letters and cards and poems.  Live was nothing but the softly lit pictures of landscapes with only the promise of the future.  I was in love.  I had a dream.  I was making plans to move to Chicago and go to school.  

But something was not right in my romantic world.  The calls were going unanswered, the letters not responded to.  Like a good Hopeless Romantic, my response was to double down on my efforts:  more calls, more letters, even flowers.  Still nothing.  My mother, in a wisdom that was quite right had I chosen to listen,  commented that it was a summer romance that was simply ending.  My father said nothing, probably picturing the spectacle of me trying to drive in the snow in Chicago in January and shaking his head.

And then magically, all was well again.  She wanted - no, needed - me to come out attend a function wit here.  She would take care of the ticket and the hotel room.  I need only come.  Oh, the rapturous depths of delight I felt!  This was the apogee of every hopeless romantic, was it not?  To be wanted and needed.  Romance, I crowed to myself, had won the day.  Take that, doubting parents whose experience of the world had tampered with the triumph of true love.

Except, of course, it had not.

My arrival was not as romance should have gone.  She met me, dropped me at the hotel, then had class. I was left to wander the day by the Lakeside, waiting to check into my hotel.  I wandered the streets of a better suburb of Chicago all day, the winds off the lake cutting through my jacket as if it were lace.  For a brief moment I got a vision of what it was like to be homeless with nowhere to go and nothing to do.  If this was romance, it tasted a lot more like being put on a shelf and forgotten.

But the night - the night of the event was coming.  That would make it right.

But it did not.  What was clear, once we dressed up and arrived, was that I was truly just a place holder to avoid the indignity of going alone to a social event.  I wandered a bit, but these were not my people and this was not my romantic night out.  I talked with a few of her friends, but we were from very different worlds and I - a hopeless Romantic but also in a lot a simple person with not a lot of socialization practice - ended up sitting in a chair off to the corner, a potted plant keeping me company, hoping the evening would end quickly.

The weekend after that was rather droll but not unwelcome, as things slowly seemed to warm up from the nadir of that night.  I left feeling as if I was again on the right, romantic track.  I need only redouble my commitment and the prize - true romance - would be mine.  In my mind, I was already buying snow tires.

And so I redoubled my efforts. I sent more cards.  I wrote more letters.  I made calls and left them on the machine, and then more calls and left them on the machine.  That is what hopeless romantics do, I told myself - demonstrate their commitment. 

But nothing.  Not a letter, not a call, , not a 3 x 5 post card, nothing.  Until that day in November when I called and, when the phone message came on, there was a message specifically directed at me:  She had received my calls.  She was busy.  She would call me when she had the time.

Every person that had called her and left a message - every person that would call her and leave a message - would hear that.  And wonder who that message was directed towards, and what fool and a moron that person must be.

At that moment - and I remember it quite clearly  - Happy Hopeless Romantic Me collapsed like a skater breaking through thin ice into the freezing water.  A skater that never made it out.

It died.  The whole thing died.  Romance was gone.  The books, the songs, the poems - I do not know that I could bring myself to say that they lied, but I could bring myself to say that they had misinformed me.  What I went through was not so much a depression as it was a cold hard drop onto the rocks of reality, one that in some ways I never really recovered from.

The postscript for this entire scenario - as if one was really needed - was a card addressed to me from Chicago that Christmas, one that said "Have a Merry Christmas - At Home."  Uisdean Ruadh, in one of the kindest, bravest and most heroic acts of our long friendship, made me take that card and everything else I had from the relationship and burn it on the grill.  He left me nothing to be maudlin over except for my journals, which I could not bring neither bring myself to review not destroy.

By the time - some years later - that I met The Ravishing Mrs. TB, there were only faint grindings of that Hopeless Romantic present, faint grindings that spiraled up into the wind and blew away as soon as the first sign of potential failure showed up (which may, coincidentally, have saved the relationship).  There were cards and flowers and poems, but they never had the wild abandon of those earlier years.  It was a more calculated, less engaged Romantic that risked putting things his heart into things or dreaming. 

Enough time and space has passed that I can look back on the incident and see that if I wanted to actually have a relationship, I pretty much did everything completely in the wrong.  Perhaps that was a function of lack of experience, perhaps that was a function of too much theoretical thinking about love and relationships and not enough practice.  Either way, I have in all the years since never had such a complete and total collapse of a personality trait.  There is not even rubble.  There is only cold ash over a ruined wasteland.

I do wonder, of course, what would have happened - or what would happen - if I could find a small piece of that hopeless Romantic Fellow again.  Or perhaps, to be fair, he never left me: he only found other ways to manifest himself in much more secret and mundane ways in what he cares about -  animals, plants, acts of kindness, things that themselves never react badly to attention -  and perhaps perhaps even practicing such romanticism in small ways and mannerisms of behavior and writing that never risk being called out and thus never risk being smashed.

And, perhaps, in secret dreams held so tightly that not a person suspects such things even exist.

Yet even as I write of it now, I can still feel the shock and horror of my name being effectively thrown out to the world as not a Great Romantic but as a fool and idiot.  I can see exactly where I was in the kitchen when I heard it, feel the twist of the phone cord in my fingers, sense without knowing the flair of blush in my checks and the edge of tears peeking out of the corner of my eyes.  

And in the back of my mind, I can still hear all that was in that Hopeless Romantic heart crashing to the ground and breaking into a million pieces, only to blow away in the cruel November wind.

27 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:34 AM

    A whole lot of us have been in those same shoes. There are heart breaks, then the Real Heart Break comes along and does a real number on our psyche. Only later do we realize it was for the better, when the person you were meant for comes along and erases part of the bitterness.

    Reality is Harsh. Like a physical beating that leaves your body uninjured but mind feels like a garbage truck ran over it. Not a good thing to witness, especially when you watch your children about to experience it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - Is is so common? I had no idea it was so. Certainly it was something I never discussed growing up or among then friends, but perhaps that is because it is so personal that it can never be mentioned.

      I had not thought of it in terms of bitterness as well, but yes - that is a thing. I wonder how much of that I am still carrying around.

      We have lived through at least one round of this with Na Clann. As you say, not a good thing to witness.

      Thank you so much for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous "Is it so common...". Sigh. Pardon my inept typing.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous12:27 PM

      Well, the so common part I meant was having a promising relationship cut to the quick. I am not saying being a romantic is common in this day and age. In fact, few and far between. I think because so many kids are raised in single parent households, they are already conditioned to expect long term

      Delete
  2. If you were a poster boy romantic, I was right there beside you on the poster.

    I too have wandered what might have been over the years but mostly I reflect upon the Garth Brook song, "Unanswered Prayers". If you aren't familiar with it, he runs into his old high school flame and realizes how happy he is with how his life turned out and thanks god for not answering all though teenage prayers.

    I was able to find a link but only for a live version that isn't the best quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbhvw4rhZcc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is fantastic. I now have an image of you and me on a poster in the 1970's along with the other teen pop idols from Dynamite magazine...

      Thanks for the suggestion - I hunted up the lyrics. Yes, it is like that - for all the times I have met people years and years after the event and it was..."Surprising" the choices they had made, it would be even more poignant.

      Somewhere buried in my short story fiction is a tale about a fellow that goes into a tea house and, as he sits and drinks his tea, suddenly realizes that everyone else in the tea house are versions of him if he had chosen different paths in life.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing that story with us. Of course we're only hearing your side of it, but my mind is thinking some not-so-nice thoughts about that girl and her tactics.

    I've never thought of myself as a romantic at all (and I married someone even less so), but that doesn't mean I didn't do my share of falling in love (with certain expectations). And yes, most of those relationships (if they ever developed at all) crashed and burned... some spectacularly. So don't feel the fool... I think we've all be there in one way or another. I echo what Ed said. Thank God (in all reverence) that I didn't always get what I thought I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly - Thank you for your support. Indeed to be fair, I can see where constantly being bothered by someone would be annoying. The invitation as a stand in was not great, no matter what side it is on.

      We probably have, some of us more than others. Some others of us (me, for example) a lot more than others. It does make consider how with all of the issues of living, this represents God's best in that regard. One can only shudder at what the "less best" would have been.

      Delete
  4. If one is not a romantic when they are young, what sort of verminous manipulator are they? A future politician perhaps? A confidence man? Perhaps just a simple mugger?
    Romanticism has it's place too.

    What really welds a deep love is work in common with another.
    Then the true person comes out to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term you’re looking for is “red pilled”. The realities of the modern day actively persecute and punish the romantic and the chivalrous as our rampant divorce rates will attest. Our esteemed blog host was a sitting duck… and he got off very lightly.

      Delete
    2. Raven - I wonder. I have a limited data set to pull from, but I am not sure how the "Not Romantics" ended up. I do not wonder that perhaps it is just a giant wash in the end, with everyone about equal.

      Work in common - or cause in common - does indeed weld folks together.

      Delete
    3. Glen, I think it is widely acknowledged that not only am I a siting duck, I do so approximately 4 feet about the water.

      Delete
    4. Mom raised me on John Paul Jones, Jim Bridger and King Arthur and Sgt York. I was doomed from the start!

      Delete
    5. Same here Raven. Knights of Yore and Chivalry will do that to a person.

      Delete
  5. I had the romance and loved lavished on me and I lapped it up like a parched desert. But, I married my story book hero, my soul mate only to discover what is too good to be true isn't. Took me 23 years to let someone back in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I can feel the pain in your response and it is exactly like that. And it never really goes away.

      Delete
  6. We are twins. Even now, when a lady starts winking at me, my emotions say she's interested.... until I see she's trying to get something out of her eye.... I'm an idiot.

    I tried a long distance relationship in high scruel. Didn't work for long.... She found a local, and I fell off the radar. But it wasn't as hard a drop, so it happened again.

    If you really want to know what it looks like, when you "win" the woman that you are poetically, romantically pursuing... the one who really isn't that into you but will use you as an accoutrement... I can tell you first hand. And I can tell you what forty years of trying to keep her as you see her interest fades by proving your love over and over and over looks like, too.

    God saved you from a Sisyphean Marriage®. Unlike you, I rolled rocks for four decades....

    I can't imagine the jolt on that sudden stop! What kept me sane was a concomitant head injury that blunted everything for several months. When that began to fade away, the wound was tender, but not sore. I think it was one of the greatest gifts the Giver ever gave me. And I am TRULY thankful for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, if we are twins, I apologize in advance for your appearance, as if it like mine we are both in trouble...

      You know, that is a really good point I had not considered: if you set those sort of expectations, you will spend the rest of your life trying to meet them. Or not meeting them, and feeling miserable about it.

      I am amazed - in a good way - that you can look back on the last seven months and see your head injury as gift. God works in mysterious ways indeed.

      Delete
  7. Unlike all you losers I was a chick magnet - and still am, I will have you know. A Lothario incarnate, I can seduce women with a smile and they’ll fall at my feet… sniff…sniff… good grief! What is that fetid STINK that’s come over your blog, TB?!?! Why, if my blog stunk like this one, I’d shut it down, HAR HAR HAR!😆👍

    Uncle Bob used to say that men are the true romantics and he had some good ammo for his argument. I grew up around empowered and liberated women and they will teach a man a thing or two about romanticism and chivalry if you watch them closely. I knew what I didn’t want in a woman, but was wide open and negotiable on all else. My soul mate found me in high school and it was all over. We’ve had some tough patches like everyone else…but got past them. Be glad the romantic is gone, TB. There is no place for him in these upside-down times.

    Sorry, that horrible smell is getting the best of me… and it’s time for me to leave!😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Glen, I picture you as a cave man seductionist... wooden club, goat skin shorts, single suspender, big old hairy toe knuckles..... dragging your latest "conquest" into the igloo by her hair...

      I bet IRL you are more like Carey Grant or Errol Flynn than that.... Canadian Svelte Smooth... Teeth like pearls, breath like a chocolate mint....

      Delete
    2. See, I picture Glen as a suave fellow in his Members Only Jacket and Dockers with a lovely perm. Right out of Saved By The Bell.

      Although alas, his cologne is so overpowering it has overwhelmed his sense of smell. "Shut down this blog on the account of scent" indeed...

      Delete
  8. I think a broken heart can mend, but the remaining scars mean it will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, I think you have the right of it - the fact that, over 30 years later, I can still taste the sting just as vividly bears you out.

      Delete
  9. Yup, we all have that moment in time . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I am honestly surprised by this - pleasantly surprised, if one can say such a thing about such an event. I really thought I was effectively all alone in this.

      Your thoughts on the matter this morning were thought provoking as well.

      Delete
    2. I had that topic picked out for a couple of weeks. I try to do that so they have time to "gel" - glad it coincided with yours!!!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!