Friday, February 04, 2022

The Death Of A Hopeless Romantic: Postscript

So you, dear readers, are the first beyond Uisdean Rudah to hear the sad and tragic tales of The Death Of A Hopeless Romantic (because if you are going to bring something to light, go big or go home).  This is also the first time I have considered the matter is well over a score of years, and the first time ever outside of my journal I have written about it at all.

Your commemorative book marks are in the mail.

Looking at it for the first time "on paper" as it were, and reading it out to myself through the long lens of time, I am struck by two things:  One is my complete and total ability to be tone-deaf to what I thought I was actually accomplishing, the other is the belief that I needed to be "something"  - in love at that particular time, but other things since then.

The tone deafness has moved over the course of twenty plus years, but only with the speed of a glacier and the visibility of an oak tree growing - it happens, but you never quite know when.  I am marginally more conscious of the things I am actually trying to accomplish through my actions and words, and have gained some ability to rein them in or consider them more carefully.  I am more willing to "not react" to a situation that I feel as if I need to react to, but know inside that acting will only make things worse.  I can avoid commenting if it seems out of place or contrary to what I am trying to accomplish (mostly).  That does imply some level of confidence and trust with others that they are both being honest and will interpret my lack of action or silence not as a refusal to act or an act of disgust or non-involvement, but simply as an action - which is a struggle as I remain with a high degree of distrust in the motives and actions of most of my fellow human beings. 

A complicating factor of tone deafness is the fact that if is one is approval based - and I am highly approval based - one looks for the slightest sign of  anger, disappointment, or loss of interest, and immediately attempts to modulate the perceived loss.  The same is true the other way of course - one looks for the slightest sign of approval or promise and immediately tries to double down.  This is again something that I have spent long years in overcoming and remain only slightly better than I used to be - why, I can let something happen and not try to immediately fix the situation or make it better 2% of the time (that, of course, is foolishness - it is more like 4%).  I have had to learn that people being angry, disappointed, losing interest and drifting away are not signs of failure or always require a reaction, just as I have had to learn that people's engagement or approval is not necessarily a sign they want more.

For the need to "be something" - if improvement in tone deafness was glacial change, improvement in this makes tone deafness look like a speeding cheetah.  Even today, I still build up in  my mind (as I have always done)  great visions of what I could be, what I could do - indeed,  what I should be and what I should do.  There is almost always some self-imposed vision I have overlaid on myself based on the beliefs of society, religion, or culture (although I assure I far more hard on myself than any of those could be).  The need to be "more" than the perceived sum of my actual self seems as strong as it ever was.

This latter part I attribute to my own internal "make up" - even now I still find myself tilting and windmills and looking for dragons to be slain and people to be rescued.  In that sense I suppose, the Hopeless Romantic has collapsed, but the Hopeless Idealist continues on unimpaired, eyes on the horizon, sword at the ready, prepared to hurl myself into the next great crusade or need.

Perhaps while one can learn to modulate such things, one never truly gives up on them.


6 comments:

  1. It is very hard to take a step back and see oneself as others might. I have met very few people that are good at it, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I wish that I were more so. Very occasionally I get glimpses of it. I will say, given my current role, re-reading the e-mails I send can at least give a clue to how I sound.

      Delete
  2. I think you are seeing what happens when you are raised in a fairly normal, loving home. We feel safe enough to love strongly. Not every one gets that luxury. Even less so as norms are being slaughtered left, right and center became SOP.

    Again, a twin. I FIX WHAT I SEE BROKEN. If I see it, I own it. "Leave it better than how you found it." Good old BSA, Baden Powell and Sunday School. And that kind of life bears much hardship. THAT part I never heard about or understood, until recently. When you care, you will be hurt.

    Just like the Indian looking at the polluted river in the 60's ad, Tears will fall. It's part and parcel, hand in glove, "came with the frame". I think we are the loving heart of this world, that stands as a foil to the heartless barbarians...

    Have you ever read Ender's Game? Ender's love or compassion is what made him effective. I believe that is a very profound idea. Compassion is authentic. If your writing is any indication of the mind you have, you are authentic, not wax.

    Maybe more than 2¢ worth there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, I had never thought of it that way before - but I think you are right. There is an element of coming from a place you feel safe enough to do that. What an interesting thought.

      To broken and fixing: This is a male thing. Men tend to do this, at least in my experience - in fact, I often have to be told "I do not need to fix this, I am just telling you".

      "Loving heart of this world as a foil to the heartless barbarians." I sure like the sound of that.

      I have never read Ende's Game, although I have read his book on Science Fiction writing (I still have it). Compassion is a very deep thought - without compassion, one cannot have caring for each other and the world.

      I appreciate you kind compliment. I at least strive to be authentic - or as Benjamin Franklin said, "What you seem to be, be really".

      Delete
  3. Very profound, TB, and something to which I can very much relate. I can't help but think that taking our cues from others is part of the human condition. We are social beings, after all, created with a need to interact and connect with others. I've been thinking that my tendency to respond to their opinions reflects some sort of insecurity within myself. Maybe that's what I need to overcome.

    I ponder the "being something" as well. My current conclusion on this one, is that we humans are basically discontent. We don't like our hair, we don't like our weight, we don't like our job, we don't like our .... (fill in the blank). From a spiritual perspective, I don't think we're meant to be this way. I suspect it contributes to our innate sense of insecurity and why we are susceptible to the opinions of others.

    Even though I have ponderings about all this, I have no actual answers, of course. For myself, I've set the challenge of learning how to focus on being, rather than doing. And that requires me to focus on my heavenly relationships rather than my earthly ones. I won't pretend I'm terrible successful at it, but I think practice is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh.

      What I am probably not accounting for - and what you so correctly point out - is that we are in fact social creatures and respond to others. I have seemingly been insecure most of my life, which most likely explains my almost constant need for validation and approval. Even now.

      I do no wonder that our need to "be something" - and everyone has it I think even if they do not know they do - partially stems from the fact that originally, we were meant to be something. C.S. Lewis said as much: A duck desires water. There is such a thing as water. If we desire something that we cannot find, perhaps it is because it is not in this world.

      Our culture glorifies doing to a point that being is much more difficult. Congratulations on working to resolve that.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!