Sunday, February 13, 2022

Moving TB The Elder And Mom, One Year On

 One of the great things about having a public blog is it functions as a sort of public journal; recall for particular points in time and space are much easier to find than having to dig through endless journal pages to find the desired entry.  In that, at least, technology has benefitted us - if we want to find an emotion, it is that much easier to locate.

This day last year, we had already moved my mother and were getting ready to move my father.  How time flies, indeed (for those that may be newer, the whole story is here:  Moving TB The Elder And Mom).

It is hard for me to believe it has been a year since I was able to talk to TB The Elder in a coherent conversation.  Before that, I talked to him and my mom once a week (every Tuesday).

Events like this happen, of course:  the sort of thing that is not just a turn in the road, but a direct 90 degree turn followed by a downhill plunge.  You think that life is simply going to slow down at these critical junctures but of course it does not; life has a way of continuing to move on and, if anything, feel like it is picking up speed in the process.

I am out again at The Ranch this week; we are fortunate in that the weather is sufficiently nice that outside visits are allowed and we can go and see them (tomorrow as I am writing this, today as you are reading it).  The house is silent now as it always is when I am here now:  the clocks on the wall tick out a steady beat as the frogs outside chant into the darkness to the stars.

We are, so far as we know, no closer to a better resolution yet infinitely closer to the resolution that will come.  My sister let me know that my father needs more care now at night due to his insomnia; at the visit in December, the facility owner let us know my mom requires more prompting in eating and is having episodes of "doing her business" where she happens to be (a sweatpants suit that zips up in back helps prevent this).   There are no illusions about how this ends, just a quiet sense of dread in that we do not know how long and what things will look like before we get there.

My fear - I say fear, but it is nothing that I am afraid of, just something that I acknowledge will occur - is that we will reach the point where we will be just faces that they think they recognize, but they do not know who we are.  Given long enough, that day will come - the life expectancy for a post-Alzheimer's diagnosis (in case you were wondering) is 10-12 years; we are current 7 years into my mother's diagnosis.  But of course that is dependent on a lot factors - it could be shorter, it could be much longer.

It is, I am sure, not an inconvenience for my parents in that I suspect they do not realize that things have never been except as they are now.  I cannot know what it is like to experience such things - I can only guess, of course - but my guess is simply that life is in the now.  Always in the now.  Perhaps like what we associate life with our pets like:  there may be some memory, but largely it is a current experiential stream of consciousness, lived moment by moment in the here and now.

The refrigerator cracks on with a hum.

It has been a year since a television sounded in this house, since a phone rang, since my father sat out on the porch or my mother sat here at the couch reading her book - the very place I am typing this missive now.  The house looks largely the same as it ever did and to almost anyone that had been here before, they would see little to suggest that things had changed at all.  A little more dust, perhaps - I am terrible about dusting at home, let alone here - but other than that, few differences.

The difference to me is that I cannot now speak to my mother and father, not in a way that it used to be.  There are sealed away behind a barrier that, having gone through, I cannot scale or pass.  I can only look in from the outside and communicate, as much as by shape and shadows as by voice.

Even the walls here say "We knew them once, but they are gone.  Where they are now, we cannot fully say".

20 comments:

  1. All I can think to write is that I’m thinking of you TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed. It is very much appreciated. As wise people far more learned and experienced than myself have said, there is nothing for it but to go through it.

      Delete
  2. After it all was done, and the legal processes completed, I walked through my parent's house one last time after the sale. I tried to feel something special. I knew this would be the last time I would venture into was once my entire world, and hoped for some deep feeling that warmed my heart, and soothed my soul.

    All was gone. My memories were still fresh, my heart was still sad, and the familiar rooms still special; but the glow had faded, the embers were out, it was truly the end of an era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, I can understand that more than you can possibly know. We went through it with my maternal grandfather's house, which is still technically within the family but has none of the "family-ness" I knew growing up. Here, there is all of their things - but it is only their things. They mean things only to our family; a stranger would feel no more affection than with any object they saw, and the collection would simply make no sense to them.

      Even if, as I hope, this house and this land stays in our family, it is an end of an era.

      Delete
  3. I really struggle with modern medicine at times. We can keep the body alive so long that it outlasts the brain. When I was researching ADHD last year, most psychological medicines had "disclaimers" that stated they didn't know how it worked or why it worked, but it appeared to work. I guess the brain is the final frontier of the human body. I am ceaselessly amazed that lard and saltwater can hold memories, compose music, and tease out scientific facts from the ether. That the wetware can interpret chemical and electrical signals from other tissues to interact with the surrounding environment. We are fearfully and wonderfully made... even if we don't function as designed.

    At this time last year I was fretting because the big freeze kept me out of the shop and put me way behind on finishing some machinery projects. Now, I'm happy when I can breathe easily and have enough energy to do a few chores. And time has really sped up.

    When things have gotten too hard to take a day at a time, I'll break it up into bite sized portions. "I can do anything for the next 60 seconds..."

    You have uncovered a secret though. Attitude is everything. The attitude of gratitude makes life so much better. And I am thankful I found your blog somehow. My life is richer for reading your thoughts, the quality commenters and our treasured interactions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, the human brain remains one of the last great unexplored frontiers. It is stunning precisely what it can do, in ways we do not understand. The fact that the collapse of it all seems so devastating does not make the miracle of it any less miraculous.

      It is funny how our perspective changes. In a lot of ways, this whole experience has made me much less tense about things which before would have become quite bothersome - because I understand in a way that I did not before how fleeting this all is. I am sure in their day my parents faced the same sort of thing; those things matter not at all today. It is attitude - and an attitude of gratitude is a great things to have!

      I am thankful you are here as well, friend. - although I cannot take credit for the quality commenters. Their quality is their own doing; I merely provided the space.

      Delete
  4. PS Dusting: My house has zero insulation. The wooden siding is bowed and warped a bit in places, so dirt and dust infiltration to the attic space is constant. The ceiling needs the trim refastened. I bought it cheap, and every time I do something I find two more things for the list. But no chance of carbon monoxide poisoning!!!

    I found this product: 3M Easy Trap. Part 59032W. I bought a 5" x 30' roll on Ama. It's perforated about every 6 inches or so. I leave some in every room. When I see something dusty, I grab this and wipe it down. It grabs dirt and hangs on tight. I really like it.

    Wrap it around one of the fake feather dusters on a pole and the ceiling fans are cleaner than ever and it's quick!!!

    Just a recommendation from a satisfied customer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alzheimer's is a cruel disease, as much for the loved ones as the afflicted. We went through it with my MIL and as terrible as this may sound, It made me glad that both my parents died when I was a child, preventing me from having to deal with them aging.

    Prayers for their comfort and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly - I do not take it as a cruel comment at all. I can certainly understand it, as you have seen it first hand with your mother in law. Frankly, given our family medical history, this was not the way things were supposed to go - but as the saying goes, one must play the heck out of the hand one is dealt.

      Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  6. Another profound post, TB. Thank you for sharing with us your thoughts and feelings as you traverse this part of life. This is so true (and sobering): "As wise people far more learned and experienced than myself have said, there is nothing for it but to go through it."

    Writing this "journal" of "going through it" is not only thought provoking for your readers, but I imagine it will become priceless to you (and yours) as the years go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki - Thank you. I suppose at some point my hope is that for someone else, this will help them as well. One can read extensively on the condition of dementia and Alzheimer's and strokes and not have an insight into what it feels like.

      Perhaps someday this will all serve a nucleus for something I cannot see from here.

      Delete
  7. Nylon1211:36 AM

    Just recently discovered your blog and reading about your parents brought rips to my heart even though my parents died 7 and 5 years now. Compared to what prose is in this blog words do fail me. You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - I recognize you from other climes and am glad you have come. My apologies if my writing causes pain; it was not my intent. I just find writing this out helps deal with my own.

      Thank you for your prayers, your comment, and for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. I do feel for you all, TB. And I pray for you.
    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. They are very appreciated.

      Delete
  9. Robert Orians9:16 PM

    My mom-in-law seems to be getting to where she doesn't know it's coming out . And she was the head prosecution for any ruddy Irish boys daring to cut the wind . Heh ! Lady Karma ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, one of the hardest things in the last year - and the thing that finally convinced us it was time to start looking for a memory facility - was when my mother would try and pack up her things every morning. When we asked her what she was doing, she would thank us for letting her stay with us but she needed to get home. We had to remind her she was home. She would be rather shocked at that sort of behavior, were she her old self.

      Delete
  10. It is amazing how empty a place feels when those we love no longer live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, John. Even thought I know all of the things here and recognize them, it is just not the same.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!