Monday, February 15, 2021

Setbacks

 My sister got a call yesterday around 0700.  My father was on his was to the hospital.

Apparently he had fallen - there was a scrape on his arm.  Additionally, he seemed very confused.  So back off to the hospital he went.

The scrape in his arm, it turns out, was not the concerning matter.

The Emergency Room doctor and the nurse were the same two that had helped my dad yesterday.  And they were concerned by the change in his mental state they saw over (literally) the last 24 hours.  Their concern was a stroke.  So he has been admitted to the hospital.

The CT scan did not reveal anything that appeared concerning.  His lab work is all within normal limits - even his glucose (he is diabetic) was in normal ranges in the evening.  He was scheduled for an MRI, which is not set to happen before today.

Of course, given the Plague, there is very little that we can do right now.  We cannot go there.  I did speak with the nurse (Who was so helpful.  Everyone we have dealt with has been universally kind and helpful).  He is confused, asking for me (which I suppose is a good thing as it means he still remembers I am in town).  When the nurse asked for any particular helpful hints, I suggested a warm room and sports, both of which will give him some level of familiarity.

We wait.  I told my sister I almost hope the MRI shows something - not that anything an MRI would show us would be a hopeful thing, but at least we would have some kind of cause - and we could formulate a plan.  Now, we are just operating in the dark based on symptoms, not causes.

12 comments:

  1. When it rains, it pours. Prayers for a diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Ed. Just knowing would be something at this point.

      Delete
  2. I am afraid hugs and prayers are all I can offer, so *hugs*. God bless you all, TB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something similar happened to my mom. Turns out it was her thyroid gone beserk, but nobody did the correct tests to diagnose it until we had all suffered for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz, my sister spoke with the MRI doctor this afternoon. They cannot see anything particularly out of the ordinary that would create the significant decline and confusion he is experiencing.

      Delete
  4. I have not commented earlier because I thought I had nothing to add except hope for your own peace of mind in dealing with the stress of so many profound life changes at once.
    Your mention that your father is diabetic set off the alarm bells for me. My siblings and I are dealing with my father, who at 92 years of age is in a progressive decline with a diagnosis of vascular dementia. Do ask and look into the possibility as it is distinct from Alzheimers, which is a much more specific diagnosis. In my father's case, he has good days and not so good days, and his level of lucidity can vary widely. He continues to live at home only due to the efforts of my sisters and a brother who is doing a 24/7 caregiver role which we have agreed to fund him with the available estate. He had a small stroke two years ago, from which he is partially recovered, but his mobility has declined to the point where he is essentially wheelchair bound. We know we will lose him one day, but there is no way to know when or how long he will continue to function. As my brother put it last fall, within the limitations of his condition, he is otherwise happy and is where he wants to be, in the home he built in 1954 when I was but a year old.
    It is a remarkable blessing for you that your parents have the LTC insurance that they do. May you and they find the best possible resolutions within the available options. We have known several people who were forced into assisted living at the point of rage and tears, and after a few weeks found that they dearly loved it by developing a circle of friends they would not have encountered otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg - Thank you for commenting. I looked up vascular dementia just now. It is possible; the reality is that we also heard from the MRI doctor this afternoon and they cannot find anything that would contribute to what we are seeing now. There is no evidence of any stroke, and other than that age-related brain shrinkage - which they expected to see - nothing has leaped out at them. He has now had two CT scans and MRI in the course of a week, along with multiple labwork. The labwork is also coming back as expected. The doctor, from what my sister said, is also baffled and is going to do some more research.

      I am sorry about your father - but very glad and impressed that you have worked to make sure he can stay in his home as long as he is able. This is what we had tried to do both for my mother and father, but events just overran us.

      I had hoped - and still hope - that we will be able to get my father into assisted living. I think the social interaction alone will be really good for him.

      Delete
    2. I am most concerned about my brother. Caregiver burnout is a real and dangerous thing, and I am always inquiring into his status. He is doing a job I cannot do. The last few times I went to see them, I offered to keep watch so that he could at least get away for awhile, even if only to sit in a coffee shop somewhere. But as it turns out, what he most wants is a sympathetic ear and adult conversation. That I can do, and was happy to provide it for him.

      Delete
    3. Greg, I think it varies with the caregiver, as you have discovered. For years - really until this last year - my father just wanted someone else there. Occasionally for a break of course, but just as much for someone he could have a conversation with.

      Delete
  5. I'm like Linda, TB... I have no words. All I have to offer up are prayers and *hugs* for you all. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hobo. The Plague has added an additional level to this, of course, in that we cannot visit. Which is okay, I guess: were I there, what more could I do than they are doing?

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!