Saturday, February 06, 2021

An Update on TB The Elder And Mom

 As you are reading this, I am on a plane back to Old Home for what unintentionally turned into a much longer stay.

My father, TB The Elder, as you might recall, has been in and out of the hospital a bit for feeling somewhat confused and out of it.  There was no definitive diagnosis made except for Syndrome of Inappropriate Anti-Diuretic Hormone (SIADH - essentially, the body sheds more Sodium Chloride than it should).  He was put on salt tablets and being monitored.

But something has not been quite right since then.  My father has, simply put, lost the ability to do tasks - driving, dialing the phone - that he could perform two months ago.

We do not know why.  He has been to numerous doctor's visits over the last two months.  He has had normal scans.  Nothing - not even brain activity - is out of the ordinary for a man of his age.  But it has all happened in a very short period of time.

My mother, you may recall, has suffered from a form of dementia (not Alzheimer's) for several years now.  My father has been the primary care giver.  And he expressed to my sister late last month that something there needed to change.

So the last two weeks have been a flurry of activity - mostly for my sister - of appointments and documentation and tours and trying to locate a memory care home for my mother.  My sister has also had to balance out my father's health as well, since with his current issues he can no longer drive (per doctor's orders) and, living where they do, this is not sustainable for the long term.

It became apparent from talking with my sister and all that will need to be done - or might need to be done - that me being there was a need, both to assist in general and give her a break as well (she is, of course, working through all of this) - so I am flying out for an extended stay.

I am fortunate, of course - my manager has been more than understanding and The Ravishing Mrs. TB has been very supportive (in an odd twist, this will be the longest we have been apart in 25 plus years).  All of which I am, of course, very thankful - I cannot imagine having to do this and explain to my manager I need to work from halfway across the country for an extended period of time and, oh yes, I will need time off on short notice.

We are not sure about what is wrong with my father - as mentioned above medically, there is nothing significant.  We are hopeful that if we can move my mother to a place that will be better able to care for her, the stress of having to do so will lessen (such as letting him sleep again all through the night) and some of the apparent memory loss and inability to do tasks will lessen - the symptoms displayed could be indicative of a combination of stress and lack of sleep.

But, of course, we do not know for sure.  So we need to be ready with options.

We are taking it one step at a time - first, to place my mother into a memory care center where she can both get care and better and stimulation and hopefully relieve the stress on my father.  And then, to move my father.

I will still be here posting away, of course.  I would beg your indulgence in advance if the postings seem oddly focused on this issue.  As much as anything, this blog is a online journal, a processing unit for me to work through the issues of not only the day, but of my life.

As always, thanks for your support.  Your prayers and good thoughts, both for my parents as well as for my sister and I and the decisions that we may have to make, would be appreciated.

Your Obedient Servant, Toirdhealbheach Beucail

19 comments:

  1. Take care of yourself too, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Glen. Be assured I have brought more than enough books, Iai study materials, and a plan to use them.

      This week will be tough - hopefully we can get to a routine by the third week.

      Delete
  2. Always glad to pray for you and your family TB. It's so good that you have the freedom and ability to go for as long as necessary.

    It's always so hard when our parents reach this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh.

      I am very fortunate, as you suggest - I joke I am one of the few folks this entire situation has helped.

      It is hard, harder because everything seems so sudden. I am sure it was not, but it has put urgency into the time right now. Hopefully we can reach some kind of new equilibrium.

      Delete
    2. I'm facing a remarkably similar situation. The sudden is a trick we play on ourselves, a time machine that leaps to the present when we still relish the past. I pray for you and yours and me and mine. It is a reality we all must face with our aging parents, and our aging selves.

      Delete
  3. I guess the turning was a blessing in advance. Caregiver's need time to decompress, so don't burn yourself down. Happy to hold you and your family up to the Throne Room. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you STxAR!

      It is ironic that the events from almost a year ago - literally the end of the this month - made this time really possible.

      Delete
  4. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed. I believe this will be one of the most difficult weeks of my life. That is actually one of the reasons I am staying as long as I am, to make sure that everything goes as well as it can before returning home.

      Delete
  5. My prayers go with you. Only child and mother was a slow slide but stepfather was more sudden. A new assisted living complex was built and I moved them into a new 2 bedroom unit on the side where they could function as they had in their home but with some supervision and meals. They had different levels of care from cleaning, laundry to pill giving. Of course every addition to basic was an individual cost. The other part of the complex was set up as a place that provided basic nursing care. My mother was in and out of that. That gave them another 3 years together and gave me peace of mind. This is never easy on the people that the care falls too. You hope that you are making the correct decisions. Hopefully there are solutions in your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Squeeky's moom.

      Fortunately, my parents both purchased long term care insurance back when it was first offered - the kind of policy that you can no longer fine, so we are fortunate that we do not have worry from a financial side. Hopefully things will work out and we can get them into the same facility soon. It is our hometown so it will be relatively easy for me to see them when I am her (and my sister as well).

      All of that said, I cannot imagine anyone not having doubts about if this is the correct decision. I truly believe that it is, but that does not stop the wondering.

      Delete
  6. As STxAR said, the wear and tear on caregivers is immense.

    You have my support and my good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. My belief, for what it is worth, that this is part of the issue that is manifesting itself in my father right now and, with less worry, regular nutrition, and regular socialization he will be back to more of his old self - not likely to live here again, but back to his old self.

      Delete
  7. Family always comes first.
    Prayers always. Wise of you to take the time.
    You mentioned multiple appointments. I presume you have gotten multiple opinions as well?

    With this sudden turn have they stopped the salt tablets that may have precipitated it?

    Hugs and God bless you all, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda.

      We have had multiple scans and tests over the last two months and nothing definitive has shown up. In the visit on Friday, the doctor that saw my father 3 weeks ago was shocked at the change in him. Hopeful that with a lessening of the stress, better overall nutrition, and socialization, this will change.

      I will need to check on the salt tablets - I am not sure what his most recent bloodwork showed.

      Delete
  8. Lifting you & your family up in prayer, TB.
    God Bless you all.
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hobo. I am confident we are making the right choices, although it does not always feel like it.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous3:07 PM

    That is a large portion of responsibility put on you, but you appear to be handling it well.

    As or possible sources of why the sudden changes occurred -

    Were any new supplements added or taken away from consumption when the changes occurred ? Maybe switching brands ?

    I ask this as a person who uses blood thinners taken daily. My INR was under control, until switching to a generic blood thinner made my numbers fluctuate. Took a while for us to recognize what had changed. Switching back to original medication and the number stabilized.

    Your Dad is lucky to have children who care so much- our prayers for a resolution soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - Thank you very much. They have reviewed his medication and there was no significant changes - one medication was halved only. He has continued on the sodium chloride they originally proscribed for him and this has apparently brought his sodium numbers back to where they should be.

      I think both myself and my sister have been asking ourselves if we missed something; if the problem was there before and we missed signs before. I do not wonder that we did; however I also do not wonder if my father has attempted to manage this as long as he could on his own, like most of us parents do.

      Thank you for your prayers. Hopefully the plan we have put in place will be smoothly executed this week.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!