Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Time To Garden Autumn 2019

So somewhat of an amusing story:  The haiku posted at on Monday was actually written the previous Sunday (had to move it, editorial reasons).  Sure enough, between then and this week we had a cold front blow in - we went from the mid-90'F to the mid-50's.   So even so I still have my sweet potatoes and okra hanging on,  Winter, it seems, really is coming. 

So my "I have plenty of time to plant my Autumn/Winter garden" has morphed into "I had better plant my garden next week".

Here is the bulk of this year's latter plantings:


This year's foray into the possible include spinach, lettuce and two kinds of beets, Saffron plants (which are really crocuses - who knew?), Egyptian Walking Onions, and Rye.  Not pictured here are garlic (the eternal), barley, onions, and leeks.  As always, we will see what grows and what fails.

A side comment: as I was digging through my seeds I realized that these are some of the last of my Bountiful Gardens Seeds.  SowTrue Seeds has been an amazing replacement - still, it makes me a little sad to see the end of the seed packets of my first adventures in gardening.

4 comments:

  1. in spring try floriani corn many pollinators love it it is very tall and stunningly delicious make polenta from it want to grow it here got some from a friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and blessings for a bountiful harvest. 🐰

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Deb! We are always looking for a new variety to try - and I do like polenta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda. Given my relative lack of skills, I will take all the luck I can get!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!