Thursday, October 31, 2019

The Collapse XXXVI: Loss Of A Truck


25 September 20XX

My Dear Lucilius:

Your message made its way through. I am, as always, grateful that you are still well, although I must confess your description of life second hand in our childhood state sounds grim indeed. I am surprised they are still allowing news like that to be distributed, even infrequently. The food riots sound awful.

By way of introduction for this letter, I no longer own a truck.

The circumstances are a bit confusing as they are alarming. Two days ago, young Xerxes comes knocking on my door almost out of breath. “Convoy” he slammed out between deep breaths. “Military”. And then he was off.

I had expected this day to arrive at some point, I suppose. I just did not expect it so soon.

The day was slightly warmer – we have had a brief lull in the cold – so I decided it would be a good day to be out picking over the last of the garden. And so I went out with hoe in hand, quietly working around the rapidly dying summer garden when the soldiers arrived.

There were two of them in their camouflage dress (totally standing out in our climate, by the by), weapons in hand. They walked through the front of my gate, one of them eyeing the Cabin while the other walked up to me. I studiously ignored them both, hoeing away.

The young soldier (they are always young, I suppose) greeted me with a chipper “Good morning” to which I responded with a nod. He waited – I suppose for some other acknowledgment – while I continued to hoe away.

Finally he broke in again. “Apologies sir. I have order here that you are to surrender your vehicle.”

I stopped hoeing.

He held out a paper to me – I scanned it. State of emergency, government orders, would make full restitution upon the ending of the emergency, full faith and credit of the US Government, etc.

I handed to paper back. “It is my only car, sir. I live alone and will be completely without transportation”.

The soldier promptly replied “Sir, we are ensuring that there are a number of vehicles left in the vicinity. I am sure you will be covered by your neighbors in the event of an emergency”.

I nodded – not really anything else to do at that point – then asked him to come over to the truck with me. The second soldier – the one by the cabin – started as I walked over. She tried to cover the fact that she had raised her weapon directly at me.

Shook my head. This was the sort of thing one expected in a dictatorship. Perhaps we had reached this point already.

I reached the truck, reached into the glove compartment, and pulled out the ownership paperwork. “I am going to need someone to sign for this” I said, holding out the paper and a pen to the first soldier.

“Sir, I am not authorized...” he started.

“Please” I said. “Here is what will happen. If I do not have the paperwork signed for, I will get billed for this next year. Not really fair if I do not own the vehicle, correct?”

The second soldier snickered. The first soldier shot her a look, then with great ceremony affixed his name to the document.

Telling them both to wait (but leaving the door open so they could both see me), I went back to the cabin and got the keys, which I slipped off the key chain. I shut the door, and brought it back out to them. “Give me a second” I said and then reached into the glove compartment to pull out those little things I kept in there: a Gideon’s New Testament that I had received in high school, writing pens, a tire gauge, and the post drawing one of my daughters made years ago that I kept as a talisman of better days. I flipped over the key to get the mileage, which I added to the ownership certificate. Finally, I reached behind the seat to take out the emergency kit and tool set I kept there.

Holding everything in both hands, I gave the key to the first soldier. “All yours” I said, then without looking back took my things to the house and shut the door.

I heard the sound of the truck firing up but did not bother to look out to see them drive off. I came out after that to get the hoe I had left against the house. What I saw was the convoy headed off – not just military vehicles but a collection of other automobiles and trucks, rolling on to the next town.

(Checking later, I found that the town was denuded of all but two vehicles: a 1999 Oldsmobile that a retired couple kept and had managed to convince the military that they needed for health reasons and a two ton old army truck which the owner had cleverly disabled by pulling off the distributor cap).

The loss of the truck does not concern me greatly: without the ability to get fuel it was a liability that I am now rid of. Yes, I am without transportation, but more and more I become convinced that a lack of transportation will be the least of my issues. At best I will bill the government when this is all over; at worst, I am rid of something I could never use again.

No, the bothersome thing was the moment that the second soldier aimed their rifle at me. As if I was an enemy to be confronted, not a fellow citizen.

It is not a grand thing, Lucilius, when your government sees you as something to be controlled, contained, or executed.


Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

11 comments:

  1. And so we come to the crux of the problem with prepping. The soldiers could have confiscated anything else they 'needed' too. Preppers are going to become targets when their fellows start to reap the consequences of their indifference to looming realities.

    Good yarn, TB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Glen. They could have. And maybe, eventually, they will (I do not know - Seneca's letters are sparser than I would like and I wish he would go faster!). But on the other hand, part of the reason this "works" is that this is still in the early stages of collapse. People are still acting like civilized human beings. Also, this town (again, it really does exist) is far removed from the centers of civilization. The longer this goes, the less possible it will be for the "authorities" to go this far out (cost of goods versus what is gained by that going out). Eventually in such a collapse, the authorities will collapse to the centers of power.

    And thanks. I am enjoying writing this.

    Also, congratulations!! You are the 1000th comment! You get...well, I will figure out a suitable prize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cup of coffee, a free lesson on sword swingin - or maybe even a rabbit? :)

    If I had to critique the plot, it would be for the common mistake that I see a lot of preppers making. It is a nitpick, actually: They assume that being far from the cities, in rural areas, that they will be safe from the mobs in the event of a collapse. For a short term disruption they may be... but for a major collapse of civilization? Nowhere will be safe. The mobs in the city will all be trying to get out and find secluded areas for themselves. I think Seneca has a lot more to worry about than just gubbimint marauders but I could be wrong. I guess we'll see. ;)

    I love The Daily Timewaster. Sometimes CW over there posts pictures of hoards of ancient coins buried by people long forgotten, as a prep against disruptions and wars and such. It makes you wonder who made those hoards, and what happened to them that they never came back for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. not so sure about collapse to centers rogue hungry soldiers will raid just like the spartans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair enough Glen, I will see what I can do about awards.

    Yes, mine is a single plot (and to be true, probably not completely accurate). That said, in a state of less than 1,000,000 and 45 plus minutes (by car) from any major city, I suspect the mobs would be few and far between (especially in Winter). True, it is a common mistake preppers make - but then again, most would not be able to truly defend themselves against a determined horde (their AR-15s and shotguns to the side). That said, people have always survived societal collapses, sometimes by the oddest means - after all, London has been inhabited for 2000 + years, although it has gone through at least one major fallout (the fall of Rome).

    We will have to see what Seneca sees. It will be something, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Possibly Deb. But the centers will also be the most likely areas for supplies. And whatever authority is left - right up to the end - will clamor for protection. And they tend to be in the centers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes but those in countryside will suffer remember-was it argentina?- gangs went to farms to rape and otherwise torture and kill the savagery of so many of us, hidden in everyday life, is almost beyond imagining when the circumstances break down all barriers
    the destroy and torture not just o fill their bellies but because they love evil

    ReplyDelete
  8. In a true societal breakdown all of that is true, Deb - and because ultimately, men do love evil rather than good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting. Hadn't thought about confiscation of vehicles. I tend to agree with Glen about how things would like develop. But it depends on whether it's a slow slide or sudden. If slow, people will have time to adjust emotionally. If sudden, there would be panic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glen is probably right Leigh - but then again, it seems like I see all the time people losing things and rights in other countries without a fight. At some point, there is simple acceptance without a struggle - be it because of "civilization" or just fear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Or the third option distasteful as it is.

    Getting shot my "Lawful Authority" for resisting "Lawful Orders". We try to pretend things are not as bad as they are. It's human nature, just like the nature of the rabbit freezing when you're looking right at him.

    History shows those that did better in disasters (economic or social) were the first to learn how to hide valued things (including daughters sorry to say) and lie to the "Authorities" and those that would rat them out for a small reward.

    The Gentleman that disabled his Army Truck is one of that mindsets.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!