Saturday, October 26, 2019

Small Methods On Saving Money

(Before I start today's posting, I note (with a little reluctance) that I am not always sure that my blog is on target.  That would, of course, mean that I had a target, which I do not think that I do. Really, this is just kind of my life unfolding.  Sometimes I find the right thing and go with it.  Sometimes I am pretty sure my postings are just a series of random events pieced together.  But perhaps that is simply the stuff of life).

While we are continuing to try to make progress on the big expenses, one area of my life that I am starting to work through is the smaller expenses, those little bits and pieces where the small amounts of money trickle through.  I am not really sure how this came to my attention, but it did.  So I have been working on it.

An easy thing is lights, of course.  Not just turning them off or on but how many you have on.  So, for example, I only need one living room light on instead of two so one got turned off.  Or turning off the lights in the house far earlier than I have in the past (no real reason for lights to be on after 10 PM anyway).

Haircuts: My bane.  I had been attending a Men's barber shop (because, frankly, I liked the experience).  But it turns out I like my money more.  Haircut at home from The Ravishing Mrs. TB with the electric razor we purchased cost the price of electricity (and handily, I save on hair products).

Water:  I am not as good at this as I should be.  I still turn the faucet on full force, even though I only need it partially.  Another area where I can get better.

Driving:  I tend to think that I manage this pretty well.  But the reality is that there is always something that I can do better.  Or less of, any more.

With work and Iai and church the gym and the Rabbit Shelter, I drive about 130 miles a week.  And if I could keep to that, I would need to refuel perhaps twice a month.  But I keep adding in smaller trips that add to the total.

Yes, I know, these are not major money saving events.  But every little bit helps.

6 comments:

  1. But perhaps that is simply the stuff of life

    And it's your life so you should write as you like. 🐰

    Hubby often wants to run in town for something. I try to convince him to combine trips is we have appointments in the next day or so.
    It annoys him sometimes; but he usually understands.

    We have a razor that cuts hair certain lengths for the son who doesn't like to be in public. He pretty much just shaves his head; but he does that almost weekly in the summer so it saves money on cuts and gas too.

    You have a good plan. 🐰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda. We are all doing what we can - I suppose the trick is to accept that it is in the small advances, not the great changes, that we make progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - We are turds of a feather, TB. I started doing the same thing only a couple months ago. I am not worried about finding work, but felt that since I am unemployed... why not? I cheap out on pretty much everything and I am actually enjoying it. There was a time when living like this would have horrified me. I was so materialistic for so much of my life... and nowadays... minimalism just fits, somehow. I'm having a ball. It's a good mental exercise and helps you realize all that you have, by going without. It's crazy. And empowering as hell, actually. I am an old fart and I'm STILL learning new stuff about life every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glen, there is no harm in it - especially at our age, right? No reason at all to realize that living with less is more if it helps you do the things you really want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the little bits truly do add up. For me, I've found so much of it is habit in the way I do things. We catch the kitchen sink water in a bucket for the washing machine or watering plants, but I can't get it together to do the same thing in the shower. Still, each step helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does, Leigh. And there is always more that we can do, of course. I think we have just not trained ourselves to think in small ways, only large ones.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!