Tuesday, August 20, 2019

10 Years

This past weekend was our 10th moving Anniversary, which we always celebrate by going out to some local cuisine.

10 years.  On the one hand, it is hard to believe it has been that long - after all, once upon a time 10 years seemed like forever and still does in some senses still does (after all, it is most likely 1/8th of our lives for the average person).  On the other hand, in some ways it does not seem like it has been that long at all - excluding leap years, it is 3,652 days, which you would think would seem like a lot more time.

It is odd for the impact on our children as well:  our oldest has spent 50% or so of her life here, the middle one 60%, and youngest almost 75% - she does not really remember living in Old Home.  So for most of them, it will represent 1/8th of their life as well.

Has it been good overall?  I think so, at least for them - they have had the opportunity to see and try many things which I am not sure they would have been able to if we had been in Old Home.  But there are costs, of course:  not really growing up with cousins, not seeing our families (especially grandparents) nearly as much as I did growing up, maybe not having a sense of belonging like I did growing up somewhere where my family had lived for over a century.

For me?  I do not know that my assessment would be different.  On the one hand, I have been able to do many things that I would not otherwise have done.  On the other, I do not see my own family as much as I want to, nor did I get to try or do many of the projects that only somewhere like The Ranch would have allowed.

What does the next 10 years hold?  Man, that is a great question to which I do not fully have the answer.  All I know is that the last time I thought I knew what the future was, it got completely turned on its head.  I have at least learned enough now not to make hard and fast rules.

4 comments:

  1. I went the other way. Stayed where I was raised, close to family. Does familiarity breed contempt? I dunno... all I know is our families started tearing themselves apart with divorces and estrangements and other hogwash. Maybe distance would have changed things?

    In my next life I am going full prepper/freeholder/individualist... whatever you want to call it. My relationship with family members will be short and sweet and that’s it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nor did I get to try or do many of the projects that only somewhere like The Ranch would have allowed.
    Perhaps this is what the next 10 years holds..
    I feel like I am home here. And wish, in some ways, it had been sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glen, that is a good question that I do not have the answer to. I grew up in the same area as both sets of grandparents and a fair amount of great aunts. I do not remember that being a problem - but maybe I was too young to notice. Distance certainly does reduce the friction in some areas, but it also reduces the amount you see people and in some cases the strength of the relationships.

    I cannot disagree with your sentiment - except I completely change my course of careers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the feeling Linda - And yes, this has never completely felt like home.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!