Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Points Of Decision

There are points in my life where one can definitively say "I have made a decision".

For me these things tend to creep up on me unawares.  I am by nature an indecisive person - not wanting to eliminate any possible option in the fear that I will miss the best option - so a definite "This is it" is more of an unexpected event than it may be for other people.

For example, one happened three years ago when, after an announcement and change in my reporting structure, I simply decided "I am going to get a new job."  And I did, within two months of making that decision.

Some, of course, may be life altering but not nearly that important - for example, deciding I was going to pick up and stick to Iai, which has been going on for 10 years now, or actually committing to weight training in a way that actually impacts my physical appearance.  And some are neither life altering nor important - for example, deciding I will never sell books again.

But for each of these, I can point to moment, a point in time and space, where the before and after were different.

Why this post today?  Because I think I passed another one of the moments last week.

It was in an emergency meeting, to discuss a work decision that had been made - which apparently was the wrong one.  We all left that meeting feeling defeated, as if no matter what we did, it was never going to be the right decision.

And then the thought popped into my head:  "This is the last time I am going to feel this way."

I am not sure how this plays out, what this means (although the last time this happened, a new job was shortly in order).  All I do know is that this feeling is infrequent enough that, when it happens, something always happens after it.


4 comments:

  1. Good man TB. My life experience has been that when you are in a no-win situation you can either go down with the ship fighting all the way... or just walk away and seek a new road. I’ve had a few people sneer at me and call me a “quitter” but they don’t seem to fair any better than I do. Usually it isn’t ven me making that decision, it’s circumstances, events and other people. Misery may love company but I just have other things to do. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the emergency meeting.
    God will show you the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glen, seldom have I found that "fighting for my company" ever really yields anything. My usual line of action is to walk away before things become too ugly. It is not a matter of "quitting"; it is just business. Ultimately I am responsible for my family. Were the situation reversed, I would be terminated in an instant if it served the company's interest.

    And truly Glen, I am grasping the fact that the time to go may be now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda.

    Every time this has come up in the past, God has made a way. I am confident that if it is meant to be, then the opportunity will appear.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!