Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Losing Communication

Sigh.  I think the result of the up coming election is - like or not - a great many people are going to stop talking to each other.

Frankly, treading the mine fields of social conversation is becoming harder and harder.  At work, you are pretty much safe to discuss work related issues or possibly what you did during the weekend.  Really, any conversation beyond that is running into risky territory.

Social media is rapidly becoming the new post-apocalyptic wasteland, with large portions of it effectively high radiation zones which irradiate anyone that enters them and other portions fantastic ruins of former cities of the Ancients called "Thought" and "Reason".  Occasionally one stumbles upon a small enclave of civilization, but those enclaves are becoming more and more threatened by the rising tide of Cryptic Alliances, tribes created out of the chaos with their own agendas, which mostly involve dominating their neighbors.  (The very desirable Martian No-Prize for those who recognize this game reference).

Which leaves, of course, one's circle of family and friends - but even these citadels are becoming breached.  Sometimes it seems truly easier just not to talk of anything remotely resembling an ongoing political cause or social event than to run the risk of finding out someone has a very different opinion than your own.

I know, I know - almost everyone has noted this (even I have, to demonstrate how obvious the trend is).  But the one thing that I think has escaped the notice of a great many is that simply put, we are never going back again.  This is the new normal.

No, I am not predicting a new Civil War.  It is an interesting theory without any substance beyond the hopeful or wishful thinking of some.  What I am predicting is that we will rapidly devolve the complete inability to converse with different opinions except (perhaps) on general issue like commerce or weather.  Beyond that, everything will have become so socially charged that it is truly easier to simply not talk at all.

Odd that in the greatest growth in history of the ability to communicate, we now more than ever have lost the ability to do so.

8 comments:

  1. Trouble is, TB, that we can only talk about "the weather" for so long, especially when there's an elephant in the room... and a donkey... We've devolved from agreeing to disagree, to polite debate, to yelling and screaming at each other, etc. The question is when will it stop, or rather, WILL it stop. With people screaming that there will be "blood in the streets" if their party doesn't take the midterms, one has to wonder whether another civil war is not a possibility at this point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As somebody with the wrong opinions and viewpoints - and somebody who has done his level best to be courteous and respectful to others... I am good with it. I have been told (bluntly) that I am responsible for warble gloaming, racism, sexism, homophobia, gun crime, hate speech - and probably everything else that causes our noble victim groups pain. There's a lot of people out there with nothing to say worth hearing, HAR HAR HAR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete - I do not know that it will at this point. We have almost reached the point that the only method of communication at all is screaming. Mind you, I think (historically) the West has been here before. Sadly, I think it tends to end in societal collapse or societal destruction resulting in a dictatorship.

    A Civil War? That I am not sure of - it seems more likely to me we would simply collapse into constituent parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And how I wish it were not Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glen - Yes, at some point (I think I am almost there) one realizes that one simply cannot please everyone, that no matter what one says one can never make some people happy.

    Which, if those people thought about it for a moment, would make them realize what a dangerous position that is. Because once I no longer care about what you think of me, you lose all power over me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently received an email about a gardening workshop. There was a lengthy introduction for the speaker and description of the content of the workshop. Then the sign-up details. The email closed by stating that "those capable of civil discourse" were invited to participate in the discussion to follow the presentation. I had to smile, but really, that's not a very hopeful indicator of the signs our our times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Leigh, no it is not. Wow. That is pretty amazing, that there are specifically calling it out.

    The more I have to deal with people, the more I look forward to the day of not having to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!