Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Purging Facebook

I cleaned my Facebook account over the weekend.

It started innocently enough - there a person whom I had "unfollowed" (for those of you not versed in the world of Facebook, this means I did not see their posts) but had not "unfriended"  (e.g. no longer connected), yet I found myself continuing to surreptitiously check in through some morbid sense to see how they were doing.  I had not heard from them at all in at least 2 years - so I unfriended them (the choice of terminology by Facebook is, I suppose, calculated to make you feel as if you are abandoning someone).

It felt relieving to click the button.

Then the thought occurred "There are a number of other people for whom I no longer follow their news feed as well - what about them?"  And so I started looking through there as well.  Off the list they came.


And then I started looking at them from across the years - where I knew them from and what part they (or their posts) had played in my life.  There were a number I had from previous jobs or organizations I had belonged to once upon a time, people from my childhood to whom I had no connection except for the fact of proximity growing up.  There were a handful that had canceled their accounts.  And a even smaller group that were dead, their accounts no more than avatars of a lost civilization.

By the time I was done, almost 20% of my "friends" were gone.

Most of these people will, I suspect, not miss my postings at all - my postings are infrequent at best at this point and arguably of little impact or value.  A thought might occur to them some months hence, wondering where I might have departed to.  But on the whole, most of these I will never hear from again.

I have found it cleansing for the soul.

Those that are left fall into five categories of Throwers, Iai, Family, real "friends" that I actually know, and a sprinkling of the categories I eliminated which for some reason I cannot bear to let go of. 

I will try another version of this exercise soon I think, selecting another set to "unfollow" and then seeing how the absence of their news impacts my life.  Around December, they may likely be another purging.

Beyond just a general cleaning of the rolls it is, I trow, another step in the evolution of reducing my presence and sealing up vulnerabilities in my life.  The less people to risk being exposed to, to be taken incorrectly or out of context by.  Some might argue I am abandoning potential allies who might be similar to my own way of thought.  But an uncertain given for a known risk seems a poor bargain indeed.

15 comments:

  1. Not getting on with Bookface is something I never regretted. Ditto for Twitter. It’s just too easy to get in a fight you don’t want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen, I had Twitter but found it to be a useless medium. Facebook is handy for keeping my family up to date on what is going on, and a fair amount of the organizations I participate in now use it as their primary form of communication. That said, I think I have managed to purge 90% of the political sorts of things off of my feed. Now it just becomes a question of how much I wish to have on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did away with Faceplant long ago. I didn't need everyone knowing my business, and I didn't need to know theirs. I have an alias account now, and family-only "friends."

    Twitter... Can someone please tell me the purpose behind Twitter?... I gave that bird the bird without signing up at all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, and that is probably the way to use it TB. Birthday party pics for the kids, family trips, and innocent stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never got on twitter because they don't speak in correct English. Or at least they didn't when it started.
    Not on fb as often as I used to be. I use it for Restaurant updates, follow family and close friends.
    A few bloggers whose fb I know. That's about it.
    You do what is right for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pete - that might be the next step if things do not even themselves out.

    I am not sure of the ongoing purpose of Twitter at this point - Originally I guess it was for posting thoughts and comments but has pretty much turned into a word war zone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glen - That is probably the best use for it. Sadly for Facebook, I doubt that is the most profitable use of their format though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, I am not sure the spelling has improved over the years. For me, it just seems like it would be a huge time sink.

    Facebook as e-mail with pictures seems about the correct level for the medium.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not that I have many "friends," but I need to figure out how to stop the emails from fb, "Did you see what So&So said?" I never get notified about anything relevant, like when someone mentions or PMs me, only the gossipy stuff about which I have no interest. Things really went downhill when it went from social networking to social marketing. Ditto for pintrest. I abandoned twitter a long time ago because I got tired of being bombed with people's political opinions. I imagine it's even worse now. Honestly I just don't have the time. My life is busy with tangible things. I only stay on fb because that's where the Kinder Goat group wants to do their communication.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leigh, I don't know if this will work; but when on your page, if you look at the top bar, you see your name, Home, Find Friends, etc. To the right of the notification bell is a question mark and a down arrow.
    Click on the down arrow. Then click on settings. You should find what you are looking for there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leigh - Yes, I stay on their mostly because of the activities (and the people that do them) are on there now (if Facebook ever goes belly up, I have no idea what happens to all of them - back to bulletin boards?).

    I am actually a net loss for any social marketing because I never buy anything from it. I think I am just being avoided at this point. But yes, time is a factor.

    Thanks Linda! Leigh, I did just follow Linda's instructions and it works as she described. Took me about 5 minutes to basically uncheck most notifications.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I could help. :) Doesn't happen often any more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just do not know my way around Facebook except to post and to check.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had almost 40 "Followers" and it seemed there was no way to get rid of them. Did you know if someone, say, that tatted up "hot Ukraine lady" sends you a Friend request and you ignore it that they become a Follower?

    So, you Block them. Then poke around in Settings / Blocking and delete there.

    That's how it works on a PC. Phone? No idea. When the FB app on my phone wanted access to my Contacts including phone numbers and e-mail addresses I uninstalled it. This was on my previous phone.

    I'm reading The Collapse backward. It's good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paul, I did not. I will have to check my settings. Time to go through and take things out from there.

    Thanks for the comment on The Collapse. It is rather enjoyable to do and has become a good thought project.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!