Thursday, October 25, 2018

The Collapse VII


10 June 20XX

My Dear Lucilius:

You had asked in your last comment about my religious experiences since my relocation. It was not quite what I had anticipated but I seem to have reached a suitable equilibrium.

When I arrived, I had a choice of two immediate mainstream churches: The Episcopal one about 3 miles down the road, the Episcopal one 10 miles away, or the Catholic one 10 miles away.

Visiting a new church is always difficult and awkward, especially in a smaller community where the regular attendees are such that any visitors are quickly singled out. So one sits through the sermon and the inevitable follow on greetings and questions and “Where are you from?” and “Are you interested in membership?”

The Catholic option was right out for me (despite our years long conversations and your long involvement with the Catholic church, I am no nearer than I ever was), which left me with one of the two Episcopal churches. So I tried both.

Once.

One of the great things I have become convinced of over the last few years as I have been readjusting my life and observing the world around me is that theories which are neither rooted in faith or practice will eventually die. Why? Because in a world of the rich and prosperous, it is easy to have a variety of opinions that you may or may not support. When the world is not so rich and prosperous, you actually have to ask whether or not you will commit to those ideas and practices.

Which is the problem with the Episcopal churches – but to be fair, with most of the mainline churches I attended or knew of. They had a variety of opinions based both on the Bible as well as on popular culture. Put a little pressure on the situation, be it financial or social, and most collapse like a pricked balloon– on the side of culture. And in a less than prosperous or tolerant society, that kind of church becomes simply one amongst any number of activities which can be easily and quickly forgotten.

I have not fully worked out my own feeling on this point. There is another church – a non-denominational one – 10 miles or so the other way - that I have attended several times in the summer and here locally during the rest of the year. The people are friendly and the preaching is satisfactory. It is certainly a reasonable place to call “church home”. But I have to confess to you that I just as often find God in the silence of my every day work in the garden or in my bible reading as I do in Sunday morning services.

I do not know that this represents great theology – I know the Apostle Paul would say not – but it has been working for me to this point. Although I must confess to you, as the world seems to continue to get darker, finding fellows with whom one can fellowship with on a deep and regular basis becomes all the more important.

As always, I hope that you and your family remain safe in this storm.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!