Monday, October 22, 2018

2018 Autumn Weather Gone Wild

So within the period of one week we have gone from 90 F to 42 F to back to sunny and 70 F.  During this time we have received 7 inches of rain

This may be the silliest weather season to date here in New Home.

How, precisely, do you plan for this?  I was late getting my garlic in but it has a week of cold.  I have pretty much given up grain for the winter here, as the hard freezes we seem to get inevitably cuts down most of it (my plan is to plant early in spring and see what happens - after all, what could go wrong, correct?) - and it seems to rain too much for it to reach full maturity without molding on me (sorghum seems to be the one solution to this, if I can keep the birds off it long enough).

Climate can be an odd thing.  Maybe it would be more helpful if I lived somewhere that I knew more what to expect.  Or perhaps this simply the way it is everywhere now.

I still have no idea if the garlic will make it.


6 comments:

  1. I believe this is the way it is everywhere. (Just ask all the global warming people.)
    Everyone forgets (or at least doesn't talk about the fact) that in 2012, I think it was, there were so many earthquakes that the earth shifted on its axis. FOUR DEGREES.
    On a planetary scale that is, quite literally, a huge thing!
    No pun intended.
    That is going to change the weather pattern. All we can do is keep an eye on the local AG bureaus, I think. They have a vested interest in helping the local farmers and growers, so they should be able to track the weather changes more quickly.

    Which grains have you been growing? Just curious. I know I am glad to finally have fall weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Linda - I had no idea so much! It has been completely undereported.

    The local Ag bureaus are a really good idea - we have a pretty good one here, I believe.

    For grains, I have tried winter wheat, Kemmer Wheat (ancient variety), Barley, and Sorghum. The wheat and barley grows well enough but I cannot seem to get it to ripen before the humidity hits. The Sorghum is a fantastic performer in Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They grow sorghum here in Louisiana, too.

    They grow wheat, but have trouble with several types of wheat rust. Here they plant barley in April, same time as peas, hoping for a late July harvest. Don't know if that will change after this last year when it got hot earlier or not.

    Maybe try rice on a small scale? Haven't read about that so I don't know if it is possible, but it grows in the heat of summer here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the only way i knew about the shift is that i was watching a show about the oil pipppeline and the indians said the the skies weren't where they were before, all the stars had moved

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rice is a good idea, Linda. No harm in trying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deborah - I am intrigued. How did they say all the starts had moved?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!