Friday, February 06, 2015

Heater on the Fritz

Our heater is on the fritz - again.
This is not a particularly new problem.  This is the fourth time this year that we have had it almost or completely go into dysfunctional status.  We are fortunate (perhaps the only fortunate part of this) in the fact that climate we live in does not get bitterly cold, but nights close to freezing do not make for a pleasant wake up call in the morning (for those of you that are interested, there is about a 25 F degree differential between outside and inside so insulation and bricks can make a difference).

Interestingly the heater is not completely defunct.  It now works - once - until it suddenly ceases to work and then will not fire back up until a period of time has passed - perhaps five or six hours but who knows as no-one is home.  If we are lucky it gets the home up to our set point of 69 F- if not...well, we do not hit that number.

The one "good" thing we did when we purchase Taigh yn Rollage Unnane is we purchased a Home Warranty - so a visit from our local service provide is not time plus materials but a flat fee.  That means, other than having to co-ordinate a time of arrival, we are generally covered.

My concern, of course, is that the house is almost 20 years old and at some point we are going to need a new furnace (I do not have an idea if a new furnace is covered by the home warranty, although as with most warranties, I suspect it does not cover the really expensive things).

Could I learn to repair it?  I suppose - although messing with Natural Gas related items always leaves me feeling a little queasy.  It is kind of the same theory I have with doing my own brakes - I have no idea how much confidence I actually have in my work on something like that and question if I am willing to bet my life on it.

Other forms of heating?  I looked into a wood stove earlier this year.  They run $700-$900 for a unit that would fit our hose and, if I we lived in Old Home, I would probably jump at the chance - I could have had all the wood I could use.  Here, it is a little more difficult in that I would have to purchase all the wood I would use which cuts back on the economics a bit.  On the bright side, I think the house layout is such that a wood stove might actually be useful for heating (you would have the odd  one or two rooms, but I do not consider that a huge lose - and, after all, they are not getting heated right now either).

We will see.  The heating guy will show up today and hopefully we will get heat again - but it does not resolve the longer term problem.

10 comments:

  1. I used to have to repair my propane furnace yearly. Without fail. We needed a new one but we keep saying we are going to start on our new house and turn this old one into my workshop and storage. Finally a couple years ago I just gave up and went with all wood heat and I haven't been displeased except when it is really cold and the wind keeps the outside furnace from kicking the blower on. I finally figured out when the temps get down into the teens with high winds I just turn the thing on full time. Of course if you don't have someone home full time to feed the thing it's not as convenient as it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So apparently we had a "Burned out Board" this time. It seems to be a different problem every time. My concern, of course, is that we may be reaching the end of useful life for the unit. I suppose the good thing we have is that are temperatures seldom get below 32 F and our winds are usually not so bad. I am filing this away in the "things to do later" file. I still would like wood heat.

      Delete
  2. Wood stoves and stone fireplaces work fine but they are a lot of work and there's always the logistics of dealing with firewood, not to mention the ever present possibility of a thrilling chimney fire to liven up your day. This winter I m using propane heat. Costs more but so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harry! Thanks for the comment! Yes you are right, there are no happy solutions (unfortunately). We currently have a forced air gas furnace and one of those ridiculous fake gas fireplaces. Propane is not a possibility for us right now as we in an urban area.

      You are right about the work - then again, barring a chimney issue, the chances a wood stove will go down are (I think) a lot less than losing another part of a 20 year old system.

      Delete
  3. I do not like hearing about heaters going on the fritz. Just the thought gives me chills- all puns intended. I wish there was a way to absolutely guarantee that no heating appliance would ever malfunction. I think there are few things worse on a really cold day, than hearing your heater make a strange sound and then feeling the temperature drop.

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Heavens Yes Levi. We have been blessed this year and no heater problems, although we have been lucky have a pretty warm Winter this year.

      Thanks for stopping by! - TB

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear the problems you had with your heater. My husband and I have been doing the repairs on our furnace for years now and it is always such a mission to get it done. Thankfully my husband has the expertise and knowledge to get it done himself without having to hire outside help. Thanks for sharing this information.

    Ambrose @ Brown & Reaves Services, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ambrose! Fortunately this winter things played a little better for us; that said, I am still keeping an eye on it. It is easily 20 years old.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. You know that home warranty is a good deal. Sometimes repairs go well into overtime. When we had our heater fixed the plumber had to get a part. That increased the time. Then when he went to put the system back together one of the pipes was in an awkward place and he fastened it back on using one hand.

    Dennis Cannon @ Laird And Son

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had generally good luck with home warranties in general - that said, our last one was completely impossible to work with on renewals. Your mileage may vary.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!