Friday, February 13, 2015

Superseded

So in some fashion, I am on my way to being superseded.

I found out yesterday.  A new position was posted, a position which incorporates a fair number of things that I have been doing over the last 5 years.  In other words, portions of my job - the visible portions, the portions that are outward facing or inward facing at higher levels, are being re-assigned to a new position.  I assume the mundane and the behind-the-scenes work will remain with me.

I am not really sure how to process this information.  On one hand, this has always been my secret fear, the thing that I dreaded happening.  We are taught - or at least the system teaches us - that effort and following commands leads us to higher levels of responsibility and reward.  In point of fact this does not seem to work this way all the time:  just as often, it seems, hard work and effort and following orders leads precisely to the same place we would have traveled all along had we done none of these things.

On the other hand...I do not know that there is an other hand in this case.  There is no really good outcome that springs to mind, at least immediately.  One can make the argument, I suppose, that this is a good sign, that the company is willing to bring in additional skill sets to help grow the organization and that this is fabulous opportunity to learn from someone and eventually advance one's career.  My conundrum is this, of course:  by removing opportunity and redefining expectations to a smaller scope, how does one advance?

I will need to train this new person, of course, as well as the person above them who is coming is as well.  They will arrive with no knowledge of the past years or what has occurred to keep things going and move them forward, will take this knowledge, and then move forward based on the work that has already been done.

My sense in all of this is slowly fading into the twilight, a form that loses coherence and shape as the night approaches.  I assume I will still be present but in a reduced role, like a Betta that moves from the larger space of a tank to the smaller confines of a cup to shake its fins and swim in a muted silence.

I am trying to look for good in all of this:  surely something beneficial will come out of it.  But all I can feel at this moment is a sort of vague sadness, the sense of hopelessness that no matter what one does or the efforts one makes they are pouring buckets of water into dry sand in hopes of making a lake.

6 comments:

  1. Ahh TB you have fallen into the trap of expecting appreciation and reward for working hard for your employer, tsk tsk my good man. I myself understand now that I'm a nameless resource, a small yet replaceable cog and that the company will neither mourn nor even notice my passing. Yet still my black and white upbringing forces me to obey the set of principles deep in my being ;- work hard doing every task to the very best of your ability, show respect and courtesy to the people above you, show even more to those alongside you and below you...if the job is worth doing do it well etc....
    Trouble is I still work to my principles yet firmly understand my place in the scheme of employment. It is not a good feeling and perhaps was one of the many buttons pressed that allowed the 'Dog' to walk into my mind. It is truly a bitch knowing your place yet still striving to improve without a hope in hell of doing so, but that's work I guess.
    I do have one thought that may help TB....'Blessed is the man who expects nought, for he shall not be disappointed'.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have it down precisely John. We are taught and raised to act one way while the world - or at least the work world, anyway - works very differently indeed. Perhaps ironically to myself, I really believe that people make the difference, even as it seems the situation I am in does not. As to your observation about work arousing the Dog, I am completely in agreement - if you ask The Ravishing Mrs. TB she will tell you that most of my depression over the years stems directly from employment related issues, especially feeling trapped and going nowhere.

      I like the quote very much. I am going to steal it.

      Lhiats, TB

      Delete
  2. And of course they didn't offer you either of the positions. Been there done that. Prolly trying to fill some government quota or something. I would keep my resume up to date and think of alternative forms of cash flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did not, Preppy. A number of my coworkers have been pushing me to just go ahead and apply. My response was "if they wanted me in the position, they would have offered it to me.

      You are right about the resume and alternative forms of cash flow. The second was on my list for the year even as I have no idea what to do, while the first is readily repairable - yet I have no idea what that would be. For certain reasons, we are tied to where we are right now.

      Delete
  3. Never assume anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, of course. Bad habit. I should know better. Belief in some level of people's deeds matching their words is overcome by reality.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!