Monday, September 21, 2026

September 2026 Catch-Up: InterWeb Woes, The Near Abroad, and Training

Thanks again for your patience and comments on the hike series.  To be completely honest, it effectively wrote itself. I just posted some pictures and pulled notes from my journal.  I have created a page with all of the posts if you ever want to "binge read" the entire thing at one sitting like a streaming series.

That said, I have been frustrated by the fact that apparently there is a lag issue with updating new posts over on the right.  It is not just me, it is everywhere.  A brief look online suggests that it is related to some aspect of Google that (apparently) they are either not in a rush to fix or cannot fix.  It appears in some cases that it may be resolving, but not for everyone.

Short version:  Your favourite bloggers are likely still posting, but you will have to go directly to the site.  It is a great idea if you can do it; again, writers always want to be read.

(As a side note, it does bring up in my mind the question of the longer sustainability of this platform, which is almost a relic by today's standards.  Something for me to think about).

---

Last week I flew back to New Home for our rescheduled Iaijutsu training.

New Home 2.0 has a fine airport, which is pretty easy to access and is very nice inside as it is finishing up redesign. It also has nice long terminals, which are good for walking if you have not done your aerobic exercise for the days.  We are especially blessed as we can use public transit, which literally goes from our doorstep to the airport for the princely sum of $2.20.

Another blessing is the fact that I can get a direct from New Home 2.0 to New Home.  Having spent four years of non-direct flights from New Home to Old Home, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the fact I do not have to change planes and I save anywhere from 25% to 50% of transit time simply by getting where I need to go in one fell swoop.  The price is not really that much difference.

In this regard, a shout-out to Alaska Airlines, both for their service and the fact that they are one of the few U.S. based airlines that continues to allow rabbits to fly in the main cabin in a carrier.  For that reason alone, you will always be my first choice.

---

New Home 2.0 was as it always is in September:  Hot.

Having been away a little over 2.5 years now, subtle changes are showing up, the sorts of things that you say "I think that used to be a..." or "Where did that go?" 

There are whole sections of town that used to have businesses that are either torn down or fenced off to be torn down or have new construction going up.  It is a very odd sensation, to see the old literally making way for the new in real time.

Poppy The Brave is well and sends her greetings.  The house is pretty much the same as it has been, although with training I spent little enough time there.

---

The rescheduled training was, as always, good.

On the one hand (of course), two days is never enough.  There is so much more to learn and be corrected on.  And one joy of the in-person trainings with our Grandmaster is that we get to hear some history or why things are done the way they are done or stories from his past.  This is the sort of thing that one simply cannot get without direct contact.

On the other hand, any training is good training.  And I am grateful for it.

One of the things I tried to apply from my hiking experience was the admonition to "Be Present".  It is a little harder than one might think, especially if (like me) you have a mind prone to wandering.  One of the things I find that helps me the most is simply closing my eyes and listening.  I at least do not have to contend with visual stimulation.

One thing that was different this class was that I - with my former Sensei, my current Sensei, and a senior student in my former dojo, spent a great deal of time either demonstrating or observing the other students.  Part of this may be the fact there were (happily!) a lot of students for three of the four sessions I was at and so there was perhaps a space issue.  Part of, though, was the fact that I seem to have accidentally become a "senior student".  At best, I can observe and know what the correct technique often is, even if I am very unable to do it myself.

We will continue to train hard until this coming January/February, when (hopefully) the next training in Japan will occur.

6 comments:

  1. Nylon125:41 AM

    Yah, noticed that lack of updating from the time that comments weren't posting how many days ago now TB? Leave the vehicle at home and save parking fees.....nice especially with gas prices nowadays. "Senior Student"......well that's one good thing gray hair is good for........:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, it is frustrating. I just tried to delete and re-add someone: Nothing, I might try Ed's suggestion.

      The lowest form of fuel here is just a touch under $5.00 a gallon. I have to confess it is making me pay attention to where I go and "if" I need to go.

      Delete
  2. AC mentioned Feedly and I have imported my reading list to that and now use it daily. It works quite well and presents all the blogs with updates in the morning when I check. I can read and dismiss them easily. The only drawback is if I want to leave a comment, it is an extra click and some scrolling to get to the comment section.

    This who affair has caused me to do some thinking about what I should be doing. Blogger is clearly dying a natural death but I really have no clear direction of where to turn. I don't think I want to jump to another blogging site like Wordpress at this point. So I'm left unsure of blogging in the future. Maybe it will be time to hang it all up after nearly a quarter century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation Ed. Fortunately for me, my list is pretty small and I can hit most of the folks on an almost real time basis (I know the schedule - in general - of who posts when).

      You and I have the some considerations.

      It is odd to me that I am on the tail end of a dying technology; usually I think of it in terms of physical skills, not a program. Once upon a time I had a WordPress login and site for this very reason (For all I know, I may still have one). I do not know how easy it is to migrate, but I am not sure what the other options are (other than Substack, which I have no experience with).

      I do like the practice of posting something daily though and am loathe to give that up. So something will have to be done; maybe a good Winter project.

      Delete
    2. I hope if you decide to go one way or the other, you'll let your reading audience know. I might even make the jump with you.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!