Day 2:
Distance: 9.41 miles
Elevation Gain: 2027 ft.
Rising time was 0500 again; breakfast was a "Breakfast Sandwich" consisting of sausage and cheese inside of an English Muffin (I should note that while I am discussing meat options, there were vegetarian options for those so inclined).
And coffee. Always coffee.
By 0630 we once again hit the trail.
Dinner tonight was chicken noodle soup and mashed potatoes with chicken gravy and broccoli. It is always interesting to me how less and less hungry and thirsty I get on this hikes; I am constantly admonished by Rainbow Bright to eat more and drink more.
Today was another uphill start through forests. Our first checkpoint would be the Roaring River, the second Brewer Creek. I (again) pretty quickly dropped to the end of the pack. Our packs were slightly lighter of course - this would be an ongoing weight reduction during the course of the hike - but the heat would again get to the high 70's or low 80's, making things uncomfortable.
I should mention that there seem to be two schools of thought for hiking in terms of coverage. The first are those that hike in shorts and short sleeves and sunscreen up. The second are those that wear long pants and long shirts and layer and minimalize sunscreen. I am in the second group, for whatever reason.
---
How hard it is to Be Present.
Modern society seems almost consciously designed so that we will not be present. Distractions are ever at the edge of our consciousness: if not The Computer In Our Pocket, it is the screen in front of our face. It is the windshield and sealed car when we drive, the office and stores that we shuttle between, the constant flow of noise and images and sensations that take us from the consciousness of the moment.
(Lunch - Hiking charcuterie, one of my favourites)
Just by reaching in my pocket, I can access a world that is completely removed from the world I currently exist in - which is, in reality, almost of no importance to me. And even when I am engaged in an activity - a meeting, a paper writing, reading, even a blog post - I can be bombarded by other incoming messages and contacts, all demanding my attention - now, at this moment.
The Trail - or The Way, if you want to use that term - is no different.
We can be so invested in a world where posted pictures and making memories is so important for ourselves and others, we forget to be in the moment for ourselves. We do not enjoy the scenery or the hike or the training or the experience for what it is, but rather what we believe it should be.
That can be challenging in itself of course. We stare at the trail - dirt, gravel, sand - and forget to look up. We are so busy getting to the next campsite it is only in our pauses and our stops that we look up, look around, see where we actually are.
There is a balance there, a balance I struggle to hold onto within myself: this balance between being where we are and yet being where we need to be.
---
After lunch, the long uphill to Big Wet Meadow begins.
I quickly fall to the end of the pack, switched off between Rainbow Bright and Garbage Women. The time passes pleasantly enough: I walk, I count, I rest. Garbage Woman asks me about my sword art, which I am more than happy to share about.
And then, pine forests give way to quaking alders. Big Wet Meadow (with Whale Back Ridge to the right) is upon us.
It is drier here than it was in 2022; this is a feature that continues to confront us throughout this hike. The water crossings are really stepping across stones instead of any sense of waiting. I am regretful for the grass and trees; I am happy for myself because I do not enjoy wet feet.
Another camp set up. I take a nap while others wander and fish and swim, then walk down later and wash my feet and rinse my socks. It is a ritual of sorts, a sign the day is done.
Two days in and no sign of altitude sickness. I am grateful.
The Be Present theme TB, try fishing as a remedy for that, concentrating on the casting, working the lure or not (using a bobber), LOOK around and keep the hands off the cell phone, let your eyes and ears experience the moment of living. Very nice to be able accompany you on this hike and the photos/vids help, that's one good thing about that hunk of metal/plastics. Spent about forty minutes with neighbors/friends the other evening and their phones were in their hands the entire time during the conversation, scrolling ad looking at the phones......kinda off-putting.
ReplyDeleteNylon12, at least four people on this hike (including The Outdoorsman) partook of fly fishing during the hike. They all commented what a great experience it was.
DeleteI suspect anything that engages our entire mind and body (thinking sword practice here for myself, but really anything) allows us to be present if we will take the time and make the effort, as you suggest.
I am as guilty of the "phone in hand" as anyone else if I do not pay careful attention to myself. It is a bad habit I have allowed myself to develop.
Such beautiful country!
ReplyDeleteI am reminded of our mountain hiking expeditions of years past when it always seemed I lost quite a bit of weight though like you, I never felt like I was hungry.
I think I would likely fall in the shorts, t-shirt and sunscreen group unless there were a lot of ticks in the area.
Ed, it is stunning beautiful country. Thankfully with better technology, these pictures do it just.
DeleteMy weight stayed about the same as when I started, although I was not particularly trying. I was just really not that hungry.
The shorts would not be so troublesome; I have an aversion to sunburn. We were also lucky that the mosquitos/flies were not out in force, which will often necessitate a longer sleeved shirt.
So beautiful and peaceful looking! Your term “the trail - or the way” made me think of one of favorite movies (probably in the top 3), titled The Way, starring Martin Sheen, and his son Emilio Estevez (who directed it). About a group of hikers along the Camino de Santiago (The way of St James), who all have their own reasons for the hike, but what they discover is completely different. It is worth either borrowing from your local library, or paying a few bucks to stream. Anyone I have suggested this movie to has loved it.
ReplyDeleteGlad I can share it with you, AnonJ.
DeleteI have heard of the movie and heard it was worth seeing as well. The Camino is on the list for The Outdoorsman and myself at some point, hopefully.
Saw a documentary on the Camino de Santiago a few years back and it made me want to go do the hike. But went camping once. So fair skin that every insect in a 10 mile range comes to me for dinner. Grandson was here over the 4th and asked a question and half way through the explanation he was looking at his phone. I stopped talking the minute his eyes dropped and it startled him. But he put it away. That has become my standard response to that problem.
ReplyDelete