Tuesday, May 12, 2026

2026 Japan: Engakuji (III)

 Gate Carvings:







The Shariden, or Treasure House.  It dates from the Muromachi period (A.D. 1336-1573), although it has been restored. Enshrined here is a tooth of the Buddha.


The memorial of Hojo Tokimune, one of the Hojo regents:



Part of the Obai-in, containing a statue of the Kannon.

6 comments:

  1. A peaceful looking place. The carvings are amazing. Are there many tales about dragons in Japan? It's interesting that they appear there and in European lore as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, there are some tales about dragon. They are very similar to their Chinese counterparts, long lived and often very wise. Not quite the Smaug or Ancalagon the Black of Tolkien.

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:44 AM

    As Leigh noted, here there be dragons so I had to search Japanese dragons on the InterNets TB, thanks for increasing my knowledge base. Lions, tigers and dragons.....oh my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, you are more than welcome. Other cultures iconographies can be fascinating. For example, I enjoy the Japanese prints of how they saw tigers in Korea.

      Delete
  3. Carving is something I have done a few times many years ago that I have thought I would like to do again someday. I find it much like Legos. When carving, my mind is completely focused on the task at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I can see that this would be the case - partly practical because of sharp tools, partly the full focus of the task.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!