Friday, October 11, 2024

On Writing And Reactions

 One of the things that I find increasingly difficult to navigate these days is writing about anything that in any way touches on the the political.

Given the state of the world, it is obviously a very exposed nerve - as most recently noted in yesterday's post (and some of the others on The Collapse).  Although I have pretty clearly not mentioned politics in any of what is a speculative fantasy (other than the most localized of them), it provoked some rather strong opinions about the Now.  

This is not an isolated event.  Other bloggers that I follow - the crew at Chant du Depart and Eaton Rapids Joe, both FOTB (Friends Of This Blog) can sometimes post about rather banal subjects and the discussion can immediately go places that I sincerely question had anything to do with the original post (yes, sometimes they do post more openly political things - but not always.).

I have always tried to be as honest as I can on this blog- certainly about myself (I am as honest as I can be about those I write about; they deserve the level of anonymity I give them and should not be tarred with my brush).  And so, I can say honestly, that the more this goes on and the closer this election gets (and, I suppose, the closer the post-election gets), the more the whole thing repulses me.

Yes, I know - I can ignore politics, but politics is very interested in me. And yes, I do very obviously have to live in in the world that these politics create.

But I suppose that is precisely my point.  We all have to live in the world that these politics create.

At some point, one candidate, one party will win and the others will lose.  But all of the animosity, all of the hate, all of the bitterness does not end on that day.  It lingers like acid, eating its way through the fabric of society and every relationship long after the initial spill is gone.  Given the world of the InterWeb and Social Media, it will all live on in eternity (or at least until the power goes out). 

To me, it is like having a huge blowout argument with one's spouse or a very good friend and then having to go back after the fact and try to restart the relationship. It is awkward at first (if even possible), and the best one can hope for is something approximating what was there before.  There are silences that are not breached, subjects that are no longer talked about.  Sometimes the friendship never recovers.

The level of trust is broken and is difficult restore, if it can be at all.

So that is one point - we all have to get up the day after and live in a world where for the last X years has been filled with vitriol and emotionally laden (even verbally abusive) words.

The second, for me, is personal.

I am Christian. It is not something that I particularly hide, but it is not something I trot out at every conversation either.  But like most things, it will come out in the wash over time.  As a Christian, what I say and do ultimately reflects on Christ and His Church.  Woe be it to me if I end up turning people away from Christ because of my behavior, words or actions (I am sure it has happened already, perhaps multiple times.  All one can do is ask for forgiveness and soldier on.).

I know, I know.  There are significant problems that need to be addressed.  I agree.  But vitriol and emotion are never the way to do it, let alone violence.  All of those things beget more of those things; things that start out evil in nature are destined to fail and fall.

By writing this of course, I suspect I will have created some reactions.  For once, let me be stern:  It is not the day to remind me of the state of the world and the forces that are out to get "us" and likely how I am ignoring the whole situation.  Please spare me the effort of checking my phone multiple times a day to delete comments.  I will do so.  

Also, those sorts of responses are exactly the sort of thing that created this post in the first place.  If that somehow no longer makes me palatable, I very much appreciate your support over the years, but likely this will not continue to be the blog for you.

I have great writers that I admire over at Five Acres and A Dream and An English Homestead and Riverbend Journal that write nothing remotely invoking a political response.  I love all of their work (and as with Chant du Depart and Eaton Rapids Joe, heartily commend them to your attention).  I prefer to go a bit wider in my ponderings.

But even with the ability to write a bit more broadly, I value more the fact that people of widely differing opinions stop by and read and offer their wisdom.   I will do anything to protect that, even to the point of ending any writing that invokes those responses (and being more proactive in deleting responses that touch on such matters),  not only because it does not encourage discussion, but that it discourages those who might believe differently from commenting or reading at all.

Conversation, relationship building, and problem solving are a dialogue, not a monologue.

Your Obedient Servant, Toirdhealbheach Beucail

12 comments:

  1. Nylon126:57 AM

    Interesting to read all of yesterday's comments TB, social media is both a blessing and a curse eh? Guess I need to be a bit more careful of my comments and I do value the daily posts here, along with the comments left by a good many thoughtful people. Your second to last sentence is a capstone.........:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, to be fair it was interesting. I had not anticipated the response I got to what is effectively a made up story.

      I am equally guilty of getting "fired up" at times over posts that I have really no good reason to be so. It is first and foremost a reminder to me to practice what I preach.

      I am glad you derive value out of the daily routine. It is good for me to write; it is good to know that people read and enjoy it (because every writer wants to be read).

      Delete
  2. It isn't easy to be non-political. It's like being that fish trying to swim upstream in the opposite direction of the other fish. People just don't seem to think in terms of neutral wording any more. There's too much social pressure to pick a "side."

    I've been thinking lately that the whole "everything's about politics" paradigm needs to be abandoned. (It's become a real can of worms in the recently hurricane ravaged areas). Which side people are on has become more important than solving problems and helping people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it really is difficult. It is even more difficult when one has friends and relations on both sides of the "fence". I have gotten incredibly reticent about discussing anything political with almost anyone, and recently I was reminded that anything political is potential dangerous.

      To your point - yes, "everything as politics" is something we need to abandon. We have seen the outcomes of it in totalitarian states like Nazi Germany and Communist states, where literally every aspect of life is about politics (Vaclav Havel touches on this in his "Letter to Gustav Husak").

      My friend Rainbow observed that once upon a time politics in the US used to about having beliefs but having to work to find solutions. It is now very much a scorched earth policy (on both sides). I fear this does not end well.

      Delete
  3. One of my own personal themes is that freedom does not depend on choosing the right ruler; it's about recoognizing that freedom is an internal thing and rulers, "left" or "right," are all about infringing. Even so, it's hard to avoid commenting when the political dogs are barking in our ears all day. Partially as a defense against the impulse to join the fray, I started improvising a chapter-a-day fantasy on my blog with a goal of finishing the story on or about Nov. 5. If I'm writing a story, I can't write about the outrageous reality. As you said, of course, nothing will be settled on election day; we will just sink into the aftermath. But in the meantime my response to the daily Two-Minute Hate is to produce a dose of whimsy. It's a self-defense mechanism as much as anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warren - Could not agree more, and I think Stoicism has a lot to say in this regard.

      Fantasy is a fine outlet for this. Originally The Collapse was started a bit as a reaction to the then situation (2019, as I recall). Even that now seems a bit beyond the pale.

      To your point, whimsy and the ordinary may very well have to carry the day.

      Delete
  4. The nominal effect of most social media seems to be Orville's 1984's 2 minutes of hate.

    It is hard even to skirt such a reaction sometimes.

    Part of my therapy is reading proverbs daily. 31 chapters for 31 days a month :-) in addition to my daily readings.

    Proverbs 11 is so full for today I must just forcibly edit here:

    28 Those who trust in their riches will fall,
    but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf.

    29 Whoever brings ruin on their family will inherit only wind,
    and the fool will be servant to the wise.

    30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life,
    and the one who is wise saves lives.

    31 If the righteous receive their due on earth,
    how much more the ungodly and the sinner!

    Seems the Bible
    Basic
    Instructions
    Before
    Leaving
    Earth

    Covers a lot of the daily troubles of mankind. Almost like God knew about them ahead of time? :-)

    Grateful this place isn't my final home.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I have read Proverbs one a day in the evening (and am doing so again, as it turns out). It is a good reminder of God's sovereignty, as well as the whole of Scripture reminding us this really is not our final home.

      If social media does not solve this problem - your and Warren's term "The Two Minute Hate" - itself, it may well be the end of it. Who wants to start their day angry or depressed?

      Delete
  5. It is hard for me, the resident optimist, to live in a world full of people, from both sides, who feel the end is near if their person doesn't get elected. I'm just trying to power on until the election is passed and at least half of the hubbub died down.

    I've always felt politics is best done face to face and not over the internet. There is just too much space and time to read in-between lines and steer debates on off beaten paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, me too (and I do appreciate your role as the resident optimist).

      The reality is that no matter who wins the election, the situation will not change. The words thrown out there cannot be recalled -and in fact, will live on forever to be brought up by "the other side".

      We have become a people that cannot think five minutes ahead, let alone four years.

      Delete
  6. P.S. I haven't read the comments to yesterday's post so I'm off to do that. Once again, I'm late to the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, all good. I will now also be late to the show and go read yours....

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!