Wednesday, October 16, 2024

2024 Turkey: Kuşadasi

Warning:  Photo heavy post.  Mostly of sunsets.

Kuşadasi (pronounced "coo-sha-da-see", the scwha "s' having a "sh" sound) means "Bird Island".  Humans have lived here for well over 3,000 years, most of that with some kind of port.  It was not nearly as important as the port of Ephesus (coming soon!), until Ephesus' port silted up.  The Romans knew it as Ephesus Neapolis (New Ephesus) and the Byzantines as Scala Nova  (New Port); the Turks names it after the shape of an island.

Our hotel - one of those sorts of things I could never actually afford except on a group tour - was built on the cliff right above the sea.  These pictures are over two days, but I can see where one could spend endless days here, watching the sun set.


The city of Kuşadasi.  The island in the middle was an Ottoman fort.










The island you see to the left is the Isle of Samos - a Greek possession (and, interestingly enough, the one of the first examples of a thalassocracy [a maritime empire] under Polycrates the tyrant.  His ideas found full flower in the the naval empire of the Athenian Empire).



Below is one of my favorite pictures from Turkey:


6 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderfully relaxing place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it really was. I am a "view" guy, and this place had some of the most amazing I have seen.

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:13 AM

    Those sunsets over water........... Can think of a number of current politicians that the words "the tyrant" after their name could certainly apply to........ :) Like this post TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - It really was amazing.

      It is interesting in Greek History that there were a number of tyrants over the age of Classical Greece. A study of them and their methodology makes for some helpful reading on perspectives in modern history.

      Delete
  3. I assume that because I have spent most of my life landlocked, that is the main reason I feel as if I could spend the rest of my life watching the sunset over an ocean. We used to spend every Christmas/New Year holiday with my grandparents on the Gulf coast in a beachside VRBO and I without fail, watched the sunset every evening and felt I could do it forever. I did it for a one week a year for close to 7 or 8 years. I wonder if I could actually make it for 365 days out of a year if given the chance. My guess is that after perhaps the second week, I would be less inclined to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I think the attraction for me is a combination of the sea, the sun, and the fact that one has an unobstructed view to the horizon. Many of the places I have lived one cannot see the sun "go down"; it just disappears and the clouds light up.

      I also think - to your point - it is a practice. Like anything, one has to make time and a commitment to do it. But I suspect that, given the right view, it is something that could easily become a ritual.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!