Friday, October 18, 2024

On The End Of Autumn

 It appears that this weekend past was the last glorious weekend of Autumn in New Home 2.0.

According to the mighty weather predictors, it pretty much came at the stroke of midnight between Sunday night and Monday  morning, when the last truly good day  (for the next 10 anyway) disappears and the season of rain and clouds appears.  From every report of my coworkers, it will be like this through approximately March or April of next year.

That said, the weekend was a fine one, with temperatures in the mid 70's and not a hint of clouds in the sky.  I had a men's group activity Saturday morning replete with the sort of things men's gathering are made of after fasts:  smoked meat, carbs, and healthy sized desserts.  The rest of the day was spent in the minimal household chores I have (I do love that part of living in an apartment), reading, and taking a stroll across the tracks to treat myself with a latter and cupcake.  Sunday was church, then house cleaning, reading, and iaijutsu training.  All in all, just the sort of weekend that I enjoy:  perhaps one or two outings but the rest of the time with myself or Joy the Rabbit.

I was somewhat shocked to remember that this past week represents seven months of living in New Home 2.0.  It really does not seem like that much time at all, although if I think about it a great deal has happened in those seven months:  a funeral, a wedding, a move into an apartment (and then getting things into the apartment and unpacked), starting at a new dojo, I-Bun's passing, the passing of my father in law The Master Sergeant - along with continued sorting trips back to The Ranch and my new job.  I have not quite found my rhythm yet, but it seems to be coming along nicely.


For such a relatively engaged and busy time, it has had a certain peace to it.  And having the colors of Autumn for the viewing has been a welcome change.  They sit so well with the angle of the sun that I have come to associate with Autumn that it makes the coming transition bearable.  

The leaves bear me a reminder that nothing lasts forever - but in even in their passing, they can be glorious.

1 comment:

  1. Nylon127:44 AM

    Northern half of my state has passed peak color and around here most of the trees have a ways to go yet. Settling back into a routine after all the change and stress of the past months TB, less gray hair might be the result.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!