Monday, May 06, 2024

TB Takes Shank's Mare

 As mentioned in Friday's post, I reached the end of my company approved rental car and, after taking the train home, was essentially left with my feet (aka Shank's Mare) as my mode of transportation.  I had thought that it would only extend one and one-half days (Thursday and Friday morning) and that Friday afternoon would see the arrival of my car.  Sadly, circumstances did not play out that way and today is the current estimated date of delivery.

On the bright side, I live close enough to work to walk.  On the less bright side (for a limited time), the only feasible option I have is to walk.

Note the word "feasible".  In point of fact there are other options - but a quick look at ride sharing suggests a $9 ride one way to work (for 2.5 miles), excluding tip.  Which puts an interesting mathematical dimension to it:  with tip, that is about $4.32 a mile.  If I had a car, the cost would certainly be less than that per mile (around $0.38, given average fuel prices).  So purely on walking on Thursday and Friday, I "saved" myself $21.6.  Financially, that makes sense.

And so, I walked.

I have not been in a position to walk to work since the early 1990's, where (for a brief time) I lived within a miles of my job.  There is a certain novelty to being able to do so.  And as  I have noted before, walking is possible here:  at least this part of the city has sidewalks in numerous places (on both sides of the street, no less) and certainly right up to my current place of employment.

The walk takes me about 50 minutes, or about 20 minutes per mile.  If I pushed myself a bit more, that is something like 3 miles an hour.  I do carry a backpack with my work computer, lunch, etc., but that cannot be more than 5 pounds - so weight is not a significant factor.

The walking itself is not bad - yes, it is mostly office buildings and light industrial so it is not the best of landscapes, but it is also quite green and makes for a relatively pleasant walk.  Although Friday turned out to be a bit less pleasant, as I walked through 50 minutes of drizzle.  One learns to carry a raincoat and water resistant backpack everywhere here so it was not a dire emergency (and I have certainly hiked through far worse conditions) although neither is the best of all possible worlds.

Of course, no car meant that everything over the weekend was either spent in the apartment or by foot - and so both church and grocery shopping were conducted with a walk.  Again, not unmanageable by any circumstance, although it does somewhat limit the amount of groceries one can bring home (fortunately, it is only me here at the moment) - one backpack-ful is somewhat less than you might imagine.

How are my legs?  Sore, but that probably does not come as a surprise simply due to the fact I have not walked this much in some time.  The soreness is not unmanageable - although it hardly makes me want to do a lot when I get home.

The biggest "complaint" I have is simply the amount of time it takes - almost two hours instead of what would be about a 10 minute drive.  One does not appreciate the loss in time until one is confronted with it.  And that is for a relatively short distance - imagine 5 miles each way, or even 10 miles.  The reality of pre-20th Century travel, where a great many people spent most of their lives near where they lived, becomes far more comprehensible.

What will I do when I get my car back?  Drive some of the time I suspect - but I do think (as long as the weather holds) I will continue to walk at least one day a week, if not more.   The exercise really does do me good.  And the humbling nature of moving, one foot at a time, makes me appreciate modern transportation all the more.

18 comments:

  1. Is a bicycle a possibility?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - it could be. Certainly the streets are laid out in such a way that biking would not be completely at the risk of life and limb. That said, my bicycle is (sadly) back in New Home - but long term, it could be an alternative.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:50 AM

    Supplements - Potassium & Magnesium preclude leg cramps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - Thank you! I do take magnesium but not extra potassium; I will add it to the list.

      Delete
  3. I lived about a mile away from one part time job in college. Time was so tight, driving was the only option. Fouled out a set of plugs fairly quickly. I pulled them and cleaned them. I drove a little farther every so often to burn out the gunk and that fixed the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time really is the issue, STxAR. I think I made a little better time this morning at 45 minutes, but even then that is about I think I could squeeze out without running.

      Delete
  4. I had the same question as Leigh, so I hope you will use your bike at some future date. In the meantime, the occasional walk sounds pleasant to me. Yes it takes time, but your brain still works and I suspect there are all kinds of interesting things you'll be thinking about during those walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, it is something that I need to incorporate into my routine on a periodic basis - especially as I currently have a hike planned in October that require at least 5 miles a day. I also think that having the option - instead of having to - will improve my mood a bit.

      Delete
  5. Nylon1210:40 AM

    Yah, that mechanized transport is a BIG time saver TB and the older you get the slower the walk, ask me how I know. When you do walk, stay in condition yellow not white........ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I do not think I had recently grasped how much it is a timesaver until this week.

      We have forgotten a society that only moved at the speed of us.

      Delete
  6. Don't forget, besides gas you need to consider wear and depreciation of your vehicle which nationally is another $0.67 per mile. Short trips are the hardest so I would probably double that amount to be conservative. Added to your gas, that should take some of the sting off ride share or walking.

    Another alternative that I would consider would be a moped if side streets were available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fair, Ed. And likely in Winter (and Autumn and Spring, from what I hear) I will have to drive enough.

      There may be enough side streets. I do not know that I trust myself enough on a moped. My ability to manage a bicycle is questionable at best.

      Delete
  7. I'm with Ed. A small moped or scooter sounds like a definite possibility.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I do see them around me. Just not sure if I am brave enough to try it.

      Delete
  8. The comments above compel me to expose my shallow side... when I see a grown man on a moped or scooter around here, I assume they've had their driver's license suspended. Get a motorcycle if you must. lol

    I do admire the walking habit, though. Good for you, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting Becki - my association with mopeds is a particular mental image as well. My biggest concern - even when I am driving around them - is safety. One wrong move on either of our parts and we have life changing circumstances.

      Delete
  9. Passing Peanut9:57 AM

    "... one backpack-ful is somewhat less than you might imagine."

    Indeed, as Seneca et. all have so recently reminded us. Life imitating art, perhaps? Or the other way around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passing Peanut, the echo of a fictional story did not escape me either - in my case, I had written the entry before making the walk.

      But yes, interesting time indeed.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!