Friday, May 03, 2024

TB Takes The "A" Train


One of the outstanding matters in my relocation to New Home 2.0 is my automobile.  In short, it is being shipped here - but has not yet arrived (if all goes well, it arrives on the day you are reading this, Friday).  I had a 30 day rental which was paid for, but due to my staggered start schedule and the trip to Turkey, we could not ship the car until my return. Which meant, of course, that there would be less rental car time than time I needed the car.  

Not a big issue of course - currently I live about 2 miles from my place of work, which makes it easy enough to walk to (I of the hikes in the Sierra and all).  What it did mean was that I needed to get the car back to the airport and then get back home. 

I had two options:  Hire a ride sharing service which, at commute hours, would run about $85 including tip, or take the local light rail for the princely sum of $2.80.  And as one of the reasons we rented where we did was the light rail and the option to take it to the airport, it seemed logical that I should prove the decision mattered.

In terms of the mechanics itself, nothing could have been easier.  Pay at the exit of the airport, walk 100 yards or so to the light rail (which is the end of that line), and get on.  One transfer to make; otherwise nothing to do but sit and watch.

While I am not a regular participant of things like light rail, it is certainly not like I have never used them.  I have occasionally been on select US Systems and even overseas - mostly Japan of course, but also in places like London, Munich and Athens.  I generally know how they work and at least in theory, what to expect.  And so, the ride became a series of observations.

Much like any other public transit, the ridership is varied and people keep to themselves. At the airport, several older couples boarded, talking to an employee about which station to get off at. That was the bulk of the conversation:  other than the occasional person talking on the phone, the ridership itself was silent as the train moved along. As might be expected - especially from Americans - no-one shares a seat unless it is absolutely necessary.

The train traveled from the airport through the industrial outskirts to the center of town, then out to the outer parts of the suburbs.  The green of the surroundings (and it is so very green here) was cut by the signs of a struggling economy:  the trash piles of abandoned encampments and the cluster of occupied encampments of the homeless, the graffiti which became a regular accompaniment from the airport to downtown (and which, I am told, was not an issue some years earlier), the empty facades and buildings that were downtown - if you were taking this train to get downtown from the airport, this was not the best way to show off the city.  Even the train itself gave some rather...interesting creaks and whines as it made certain turns - not at speed of course, but significant enough that I wondered if anyone had actually lubricated the thing.  Apparently this is a common occurrence; no-one looked up or concerned at all.

For what was effectively a rush hour run, the train was not full.  At every stop a few folks got on and a few folks got off. Nothing like Japan of course, where at rush hour one is packed in to the point that one cannot control one's ability to compensate weight for the movement of the train.  

By the time I arrived outside my doorstep (within 100 yards). the trip had taken about 80 minutes.

Was it worth it?  Financially of course 3% of the cost of the ride share speaks for itself.  Was it safe?  Safe enough; there were no "problems" and any discomfort I felt was simply the discomfort I always feel around people I am not acquainted with.  Will I use it again?  Certainly if I needed to get near downtown, it makes a fair amount of sense (one would dismount, in this case, before the rather shocking parts) as it is probably a 30 minute trip and I cannot drive it any faster than that (no parking fees as well, of course).

I will note that, apropos of my comments on the small downtown here, the line does continue on to that area, so it will make an interesting Saturday morning trip to get a coffee when the weather is better.

Perhaps most relevant for our move, would I take it to the airport?

I would consider it.  Upsides:  Cost (not just of the ride, but of parking), convenience.  Downsides: Time to airport (both the total time as well as meeting the flight time) and just "people" in general.

Still, having options is good.  And, while not necessarily a ringing endorsement, it is certainly something that I would not ever consider doing again.

8 comments:

  1. Nylon126:13 AM

    You're lucky that what happened here on the Light Rail Line hasn't occurred yet there. During the Pandemic law enforcement stopped riding the LRL and the homeless and drug users/pushers took over. Only in the last six months are community services officers (read unarmed) started riding the LRT and buses to give tickets (!) to those not paying fares......uh... no turnstiles or controlled access to the station for the LRL when designed. Enjoy your quiet rides while you can TB......... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, to be fair I have no idea what or what has not occurred. There were no obvious users that I could see and on the whole, people seemed pretty "clean", if that makes sense.

      Like the system you describe, there are no turnstiles or other controls, just ticket kiosks by the stations. Pretty sure that if it is not a problem, it soon will be.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:50 AM

    Nice option to have, especially when your vehicle is not in service and your spouse has time conflicts. Letting others take the drive stress out and enjoy the passing scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - It is an option, and options are good. And while I doubt I will take it on a regular basis, it does give me another route of access to the airport. Given my family will be in one place and The Ranch in another and that parking is not cheap, it is a viable option.

      Delete
  3. I rode the train in Atlanta once. From the airport to Buckhead. The 100 yard walkies with luggage and a collapsible dolly were fun. Same noises on the train, same response from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - In my case, were I to use it for the airport, I would have about 100 yards of walking at each end, which is not terrible.

      Certainly has certain day trip uses. And given traffic here, it may actually be no worse than driving to get to places downtown.

      Delete
  4. I have ridden trains all over the world and I can't think of one that I particularly dislike. I love not having to worry about parking, fees, schedules, etc. I can just hop on the next train, get to my destination and step off. I don't even have to return to the same place to go back home.

    That being said, I do prefer trains with enough room to sit down, especially if it is going to be a 40 minute ride across town with lots of stops. I think during my entire week in Greece, using it multiple times a day, I was able to sit down just once. But I'm not complaining because it was better than trying to find a place to park in Athens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, they have a lot of convenience. When I have an issue, it is because of geographic reach (mostly a U.S. problem). With set limits (mostly urban), they are quite useful. Their utility declines the farther out one gets.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!