Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Liking Happiness

Over my recent trip, I had the opportunity to read two books by the late Theologian Lesslie Newbigin (1909-1989).  I had not heard his name until almost my move from New Home, but was intrigued enough to seek out books about him and order (book reviews are in the works).  A very short summary is that he was for many years a missionary to India and returned, finding that the Western Civilization he had grown up in was in the process of changing drastically.  He wrote about the change in roles of Christianity as it addressed this post-Christian society (I will note for writing in the last 1980's he was ominously prophetic).

One of the notes he does make in both books that I read was that - even at that time - he perceived the Post Enlightenment Society of Western Civilization to be a society without hope.  Change that idea of "Hope" to "Happiness", and suddenly we have a blog post.

We are all unhappy from time to time; and anyone that has read me knows that more often than note, I fall into that category.  And yet, as strange as it may seem if all you knew of me is this blog, I am on the whole a relatively happy person.

Part of it is simply the fact that the simplest of things makes me happy.  A new book. Almost any sort of animal.  Free food.  Enjoyable conversation.  Puns.  On the whole, there really is a lot to be happy about and take simple pleasure in.

That said, I have come to appreciate more and more that there are a lot of people for whom simply do not like happiness.

What I am speaking of here is not those people that, often through no fault of their own, find themselves the victims of terrible circumstances.  These things lamentably happen, as they always have.  Who I am speaking of are the individuals that, in the face of pretty good lives and (in the case of Western Civilization) very affluent lives, cannot stand for any sort of happiness.

Bring up a subject, there is always something wrong.  Bring up a moment of joy, and there is some reason that joy should not be enjoyed.  Always, ever, looming over us is the great cloud of things going potentially going wrong or never up to snuff. Try to do something happy, and there is a wild look in their eye that one is either crazy or ill-informed or both.

Given a choice of liking or not liking happiness, they will almost always choose the latter.

Which, I suppose, brings up the world view which Newbigin suggests above: In a world that lives without hope, how can one like happiness?  There is no future, only a failing present that is ever destined for something worse.  Liking happiness, from that point of view, probably seems like a very great fool's errand.

Maybe we are on a fool's errand, given the world we live in.  But the one thing I will note is that, given the choice of being around the blithe but happy or aware but unhappy, I will almost always choose the happy.  Why?  Because life is already sad enough.  Constantly, only every finding the bleakest and most exacting thing wrong with it is not creating a sense of stark realism and it is certainly not winning people to their side.  

Is there a way to combined realism with happiness?  I am sure there is, although I am equally sure that I do a pretty lousy job at it.  But I will make one note:  the realist can attract me, but the happy will almost always attract me.  The unhappy, much less so.

Subvert the dominant paradigm.  Be Happy in a world that dislikes it.

6 comments:

  1. Nylon127:21 AM

    Yah TB, those glass half-empty folks are a bummer all right, prefer to be glass half-full myself. Constantly hearing "DOOM DOOM!!" from one side of the political spectrum over decades is trying on the psyche, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, there is a balance I have not always achieved between being cognizant of the state of the world and being able to separate out my personal happiness. That said, and to your point, I am acutely aware of how it feels when individuals are monomaniacal about any subject. It rapidly becomes disengaging and something I do not want to engage in.

      Delete
  2. Since I still see hope in our future, it should be no surprise that I rank well up on the happiness scale. I can find happiness in the simple things and I can find happiness in the large picture. The latter though requires tuning out the dooms day predictions that never seem to come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I am generally able to find happiness in the small things pretty readily. The larger picture is often sometimes difficult, as I foresee the outcome of events now based on previous events, tied in history and those are not fantastic. The challenge for me at least is not to allow those potential concerns to interfere with the daily reality that much of my life is filled with happiness.

      Delete
  3. Good post, TB. I remember a Beetle Bailey cartoon. Zero is holding a flower and asks Sarge to sniff it. The petals wrap around Sarge's nose, and Zero laughs and laughs. Sarge turns to Beetle Bailey and says, "simple minds are amused easily." I have one of those, too. A simple mind.

    I know that being true to my Maker by acknowledging Him in my life, and steering clear of things I know to be wrong brings happiness in my life. Or it allows happiness to flow out of me. I still don't know which is accurate. At times I'm just happy for no reason I can see. Other times I find happiness comes in life's circumstances. It's a welcome attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - I have a simple mind as well. It almost never makes me the smartest person in the room, but it often makes me the easiest to be with.

      And happiness is a choice - not just by what we choose but as you wisely point out, by what we avoid.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!