Tuesday, April 23, 2024

2024 Turkey: The Return

We have safely returned from Turkey. Simply put, it was an amazing experience.

I say amazing.  To be honest, I was not really sure what to expect when we went.  "Turkey"  was a bit of a hazy concept for me - yes, I know that it exists and has a long history, but a long history is not the same as knowing precisely what to expect.

I knew a fair amount of history. What I had not fully anticipated was the broad array of history that we would be exposed to, everything from 8000 B.C. to the modern Turkish state.

For what has become usual for such events, I have managed to take far more photos and videos - over 1800 - than I will likely ever use - thus, there will be a bit of a delay as I process things (and move in to the apartment this weekend).

And as always, I thank you for your support and patience as I work through responses.

I remain,

Your Most Obedient Servant, Toirdhealbheach Beucail

Basilica Cistern - Istanbul

The Gülhane Garden - Istanbul

Sultanahmet (Blue) Mosque - Istanbul

Aya Sofia Mosque (originally Haghia Sophia Church) - Stanbul

The Walls of Troy (yes, that Troy)

The Theater of the Askeplion - Pergamon

The Library of Celsus - Ancient Ephesus

Sunset on the Aegean - Kusadasi

Martyrion (Tomb) of St. Philip - Hierapolis/Pamukkale

The Tomb of Rumi - Konya

Sultanhan Caravansarayi - Sultanhani

Fairy Chimneys - Kapadokya

Ancient Churches carved from rock - Kapadokya

Mausoleum of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk  (Anitkabir) - Ankara

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:57 AM

    Turkey - where the West and East collide / conjoin. I look forward to the descriptions / pictures but take care of what needs to be done 1st !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon- I am very excited to be able to share this trip. So many great things to relate.

      Delete
  2. Nylon127:10 AM

    Welcome back and good to hear you made it safely. Photos.......lots of photos.........(drool).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure my knowledge of Turkey is hazier and more rudimentary than yours. Until reading this post, I couldn't tell you where Homer's Troy was located. I look forward to your posts in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I was very vague on what to expect. I am happy to report it exceeded my every expectation.

      Delete
  4. I am really looking forward to this series. Turkey is one of those places that I know so little about, yet it has such a rich history and culture that I definitely want to know more. Glad you had a good (and safe!) trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh! I am looking forward to sharing it. I suspect for its being in the European Union, it is one of least known of those countries.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!