Saturday, April 06, 2024

Gone Traveling 2024: Turkey

Friends - As you read this missive, I am likely finishing packing/on the way to the airport/on a plane to Turkey.

Source

I know what you are thinking:  Did you not just start a job, Toridhealbheach Beucail?  How is it that you are there three weeks and then away?

Ah, therein lies the story...

As with our trip to Greece last year, this trip was paid for over the course of the year and by the time the offer came from New Home 2.0, the last money was locked in.  I asked my now-employer for options:  Could I start, take the time off (paid or unpaid) and return or could I simply start after the vacation?  Their preference was that I start now.

Taking the time off?  As it turns out, they have a policy where one can go up to two weeks into the "vacation hole" - which conveniently aligns with vacation itself, although the overall turnaround time will be tight:  I flew home yesterday, leave today, return in two weeks on a Saturday, and then fly back to New Home 2.0 on Sunday.  I only have about a 24 hour turn around in each case.

What are doing?  It is with the company we have gone with before, so there are plans.  We start and end in Istanbul, so we get to see elements of the Byzantine Empire and the Ottoman Empire.  We head down the Western coast of Turkey - the old Ionian Coast - and stop at Ephesus.  We trek inland and do stop and the national capital of Ankara.  I am reasonably sure there are other "stops" along the way.

As per usual on such things, response time will be delayed (on the bright side, other than spam I hardly have to monitor things at all.  You are all such a great community).  God willing, contemporaneous posting will start again on or about 22 April.

As always, Be Kind and Do Good and I will see you on the other side!

13 comments:

  1. Passing Peanut9:55 AM

    Dang, it sounds like your employer is incredibly accommodating. allowing you to take this time so shortly after arriving is a little jaw-dropping; I'd be worrying myself sick that there's a "but" wedged in there beyond "two weeks maximum" beyond the tight turnaround window.

    Enjoy your time abroad, and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passing Peanut - When I initially talked to them about a starting date, I offered to either take the time without pay or start after I had come back. They allow someone to go up to 80 hours into the PTO "Hole", so it worked out perfectly.

      This will be a part of the world I have read about and is littered with history (like Greece), so pretty excited.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Enjoy and travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much and we certainly intend to.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Turkey doesn't seem like a common vacation destination, so this is interesting. Lots of fascinating history and sites there. Looking forward to your reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it was not necessarily on my top ten - but so much history! Very excited!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3:52 PM

    Yes, the 'stars are aligned' for your vacation. A good opportunity to seek some good memories. Have a safe wonderful trip !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh. I approve this joke!

      Thank you! We are looking forward to it.

      Delete
  5. Safe travels to you all, TB. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I disappear for a couple days and return to find you in Turkey! I know very little of Turkey other than the childish joke we told on the school playground. If Iran invaded Turkey from the rear, would Greece help?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!