Saturday, June 29, 2019

The Waters of The West River

If your eyes see,
And ears hear,
Not a doubt you'll cherish - 
How naturally the rain drips
From the eaves!

The spring is come, softly blows the wind,
The peaches and apricots are in full bloom.
The dews are thick in the autumnal nights,
The leaves fall from the paulownia tree.

The flowers, the maple leaves in autumn,
And the wintry snows covering the field all white - 
How beautiful they are each in its way!
I for my attachments still did not go beyond
the sensuous (for I know now what Reality is).

Inside the sacred fence before which I bow
There must be a pond filled with clear water;
As my mind-moon becomes bright
I see shadow reflected in the water.

Wherever and whenever the mind is found
attached to anything,
Make haste to detach yourself from it.
When you tarry for any length of time
It will turn again into your old home town.

Abandon all the arts
You have learned
In swordsmanship,
And in one gulp
Drink up all the waters of the West River.

I thought all the time
I was learning how to win;
But I realize now:
To win is no more, 
No less, than to lose.

In the well not dug,
In the water not filling it,
A shadow is reflected;
And a man with now form, no shadow
Is drawing water from the well.

A man with no form, no shadow,
Turns into a rice pounder
when he pounds rice.

- From Bujutsu Sosho, Collected Works on Swordsmanship (1925)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!