Sunday, June 16, 2019

On Not Enough Problem Solving

I realized this week that I do not really do enough problem solving.

Oh, do not get me wrong.  I do problem solve.  All day.  It really seems to be the key component of my job these days:  What do you think about this?  What should we do about that?  What is your opinion on...?

But really, it is all different versions of the same problem.

The thought occurred to me this weekend while I was taking one of my semi-regular jaunts down memory lane to role playing games (hang with me, there is a point).  Role Playing games - if you have never done one - also involved a great deal of problem solving.  Of a different kind, of course - after all, deciding whether to throw a lightning bolt or fireball in a small space is a little different from real life, as is an Old World technology item which, if improperly used, will blow your character up - but still mental problem solving.

There are plenty of other problem solving things, of course - crosswords, Sudoku, even repairing items or building things.  And all use a slightly different part of the brain.

My problem, I fear, is that I am now only essentially solving one set of problems with my brain - and ignoring all the others.  Or worse, not solving enough problems at all.

What am I going to do?  Not sure, really - it is not like I can start doing crosswords or role playing full time.  But it is something to least give a little thought on.

After all, if problem solving makes you smarter and more facile (and maybe helps with your brain), why should I not be doing everything I can to do more of it?

3 comments:

  1. You need to find a postal mail or email D&D partner. Not me. I don't. But maybe you have a local group that would know of something like that.

    Or, you could start taking your staff of (fireballs/lightning/etc) to work with you. Just to creep everyone out so you can get your stuff done?

    Not that I know what you do.

    Or perhaps just take your Bible and find a quiet place to read for fifteen minutes a day?

    Sorry, can't help but make suggestions. Happy Father's day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, this is something I have been toying with - not to do as a fully time thing as opposed to just having contact with real people in this environment.

    Or, I like the way you think. Maybe I just take my dice to work and start rolling to make decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of people doing that with dice. Whatever you decide, God bless. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!