Monday, June 17, 2019

Social Media Recovery

I am coming to realize what an addiction I had to social media.

I have come to the conclusion - through  a couple of different venues - that my time on The Book of Face is limited.  And so, I have been constricting my time spent on it even more. What has resulted is this incredible feeling of isolation and loneliness.

Loneliness?  Isolation?  Those thoughts seem ridiculous to me- after all, I am in my mid-fifties and have been around a great deal longer than social media.  The thought that this should be so is someone surprising to me.  But as God is my witness, this is exactly how I feel.

Which is odd - after all, it is not as if I was more "connected" when I was using The Book of Face on a daily or sometimes hourly basis.  Sure, I got to see what people were doing and feel as if they were involved in my life when they "approved" my posts.  But that was not it at all, if for no other reason that - when  you are not there - no-one really seems to notice.

The first reaction is, of course, the reaction of any addict:  I need to log back in.  But that really does not solve anything - in fact, not only does it extend your current addiction but you are additionally hit with the fact that your absence was really not noticed by a lot of people.  So I fight it, and try and find something else to do.  The road to recovery, I trow, will be long.

There is a second aspect to this though, and one that I find more alarming.  I am old enough to remember a time before social media and thus can imagine a time where my life is not run by it.  What to all of those who are younger and only see life through the lens of social media?  What will they do if they are "removed" because of some reason or the entire system simply crashes.

For me, it is an inconvenience and something to work through.  For them, it may be something they never recover from.

10 comments:

  1. I'm watching my prodigal son work my wife with his pathetic "WOE IS ME!!!!" routine. Then he posts on Faceplant things like how much fun he's having at the beach. In short, you're not addicted to Facebook; your addicted to FAKEbook! Stop the insanity. Shut it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. more human contact i need it too
    looking to join quilting group or go out to tea with some other ladies
    go to library they have list of groups willing to take members such as chess players and book clubs et cetera

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow the appeal has been a mystery to me. But good for you for figuring this out. That's important for taking hold of one's own life for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fair enough Pete. There are plenty of conversations about how what one posts on The Book of Face is usually only the best of one's life; it is seldom that someone posts in a way that makes them look stupid or awful.

    Working on it. As I said, my Iai around the world is largely on it at this point so I do not think I can totally give it up at this point, but I can greatly cut my reliance onit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good ideas Deb. I think I need something that is a regularly occurring activity - originally Highland Games filled this void, but the games are so far apart that it is not really regular.

    Iai, on the other hand, is every Tuesday and Thursday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh, I think the appeal (like a lot of things) is different for different people. For some, it is reconnecting with people you lost track of from high school or college; for others, it is finding your tribe. At some point, I think you begin to suspect it has all the solidity of a high school reunion, where everyone chats about their best but you never spend time actually together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rabbits, gardening, more time with God, you can find any number of things. I have never really been a 'people' person, but I have faceless book down to every 2 or 3 days or so.

    Some of my family post waay too much on it.
    Good luck and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing wrong with fun TB. If you are using it for ia what of it? I see people pooping their pants with rage because they got banned or a time out or ‘de-platformed’ ... and it’s ridiculous. “Time outs”? Gah! How old are these people? If you’re using it to hassle the kids and harass your friends that’s okay. That is what that thing is for. And there’s nothing wrong with reaching out to good folks for good reasons on it too. If you’re getting in trouble with it then it might be time to quit.

    It’s like your blade - it ain’t gonna do ya any good if ya don’t use it. Your blade can put someone’s eye out too. It is merely a tool to be mastered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda - You are right; I certainly do not suffer from any lack of activities I could be doing. Probably more productive, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glen, the idea of being put on a "time out" as an adult is foolishness.

    Honestly, there are one or two groups - Like American Viking, the one I post the sayings from - my Gamma World group and Iai as well, that really matter. One or two friends - the rest, I could honestly leave or stay.

    But yes. A tool. Just a really intrusive one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!