Monday, June 10, 2019

The Collapse: A Perspective.

So this past week, I had the opportunity to try a very small portion of the protagonist of The Collapse.  All the family was gone on vacation and so I spent a week living by myself.

It was not completely the same, of course. I have a much larger house and I had to go work during the week.   But other than that - in terms of contact, media, etc. - I was very much similar to our hero.

Some things that I found out:

1)  Meals when you are on your own often become very short term events, as the intent is to eat, not to eat and socialize.  They become a great deal simpler as well: more than one meal was a peanut butter and honey sandwich.

2)  It is very easy to spend non-work time not speaking to anyone except the animals.  And they make pretty good conversationalists.

3)  One can live pretty cheaply when one is on one's own.  There is little enough that you want or need outside of necessities by yourself.

4)  Just like I have found in my normal life, schedules make life very livable.  It also ensures that the important things get done.

And...5)  I do not do very well when The Ravishing Mrs. TB is gone.  Not well at all.

It was a good experiment.  I hope to continue to analyze the experience.

6 comments:

  1. It's hard to live when half your soul is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby and I would definitely agree with number 5.

    Glad you enjoyed yourself. Mostly. 🐰

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glen, quite correct. Something is just not right with the world that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda! It was a very eye opening experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an excellent experiment with good perspectives learned. When Dan was driving over-the-road my favorite by-myself meal was popcorn. With butter and Parmesan cheese. Dan's not much of a popcorn guy, so now that he's home full-time I confess that I sometimes miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Leigh. It was a bit of an accidental experiment, but a good one none the less.

    Oddly enough, I only eat peanut butter and honey when I am alone myself.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!