Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Second Garden Plot

 So one of the issues I have with my garden location currently is that - due to its proximity to the house - it is truly a "Summer Garden".  It only gets 4-5 hours of sunlight in the Winter.  I have a section along the fence that I can use for a Winter garden - gets a great deal of sun, but with Poppy the Mighty growing anything there is a risk.  So it was time to do something about it:



The space measures about 14' long and a 4' wide.  4' metal green fence posts fill the need:


Chicken wire was $20.00 for 25' and I only needed 18' or so.  I cut both sides to the center so I can get in on either side.


I have been putting my used rabbit litter and rabbit droppings there for about two years.  I had two more containers to added to the mix:


The finished product raked out:


The finished product:


The good news is that since the fencing has gone up, Poppy has not tried to run through it.

It is a little cold still to plant, but I am thinking I will put 50% of it grain this coming weekend and see what happens.

6 comments:

  1. Lettuce and peas do well now. Carrots, too. With all that excellent fertilizer, everything should do well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:29 PM

    Those rabbit droppings will make it grow well!! Some of the best tomatoes I've had came from ground fertilized with rabbit droppings. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that your new veg plot is going to do well, and I am looking forward to see how you proceed with this new project. It is good to grow things, and I am feeling the urge to get some seeds going to put in my neglected raised beds. Growing things is good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anonymous! I have grown tomatoes there before but was never very successful - we will see what this year brings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vera - Thank you. I think we have one more good cold snap before the soil starts warming up.

    Growing things is, indeed, good for the soul - and a fine act of quiet resistance.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!