Monday, February 04, 2019

Pride and Stupidness

"I will buy you out."  The words hung there, as gray as the clouds that were rolling outside.

It was February, 2005.  We were 11 months into the experiment that was called The Firm.  And things were not going well.

It turned out that friendship and a "good feeling" you were going to succeed was no replacement for an actual business plan based on actual facts.  Had we closed a few deals?  We had indeed.  Was it enough to make things financially feasible?  Not at all.  My income had dropped 20% since I had taken the leap, The Ravishing Mrs. TB was 6 months pregnant with child number three, and frankly, the future did not look terribly bright.

And so I had tried to split the difference.  I had found myself an interview in my previous industry and had made an interview appointment - only to find out that day that I had visit with a client and so was late to the interview.  I managed to get neither the job nor the deal.

And so we were sitting there in the office - he facing the wall next to the window, I in mine facing by the door, in our faux wood desks and second hand office chairs at the end of the hall with the walls that were a little too thin, when suddenly the words just came.

"I will buy you out."

No price was mentioned, no value put on what that would actually look like.  And we were sorely between deals.  And so, I pondered.

A buyout could get me two, maybe three months.  Could I find a job in that time?  Certainly not near where we lived; no, it would have to be farther, much farther out.  But I could drop this without further consequence.  I could walk away before disaster struck.

But then, my pride entered in.  If I quit now, I would never succeed if my partner succeeded - and I firmly believed that he would succeed.  I would have been right on the threshold of greatness and have sat down and starved instead of going through the gate.  Instead, I would go back to the thing I had sought to leave in the first place, back to what I perceived was a dead end job that I had spent hours and hours driving to and from.  Unfulfilled and unfulfilling.

My answer was firm. "No"  I replied.  "I am staying.  I am committed."

Of course, the story has been discussed here before in some detail.  In short, the commitment did not matter.  We failed anyway.  I ultimately saw the friendship wither, my finances take a hit that took 15 years to recover from, and the firm conclusion that I did not have what it takes to "be my own boss" take root.  I did, by the grace of God, find a job in the industry I had come from, that required me to drive an hour one way and up to two hours back. 

Occasionally I think of that day when I am starting to question my involvement or commitment to or in a thing, when I have regrets or doubts and am thinking about changing the course.  Almost every time my pride shows up full force:  "Commitment.  Success.  Only losers give up now!"

Younger Me would have turned his face back into the storm.  Older Me thinks about it, tests the wind, sifts through the memories of sleepless nights and almost empty pockets and an impending feeling of doom - and just often turns the other way. 

There is staying with something when difficult times come.  There is also realizing that pride will run you over a cliff without a second thought.


4 comments:

  1. Ya gotta know when to walk away
    And no when to run

    I have shocked and disgusted people with my willingness to quit. I don’t care; winning isn’t everything and a guy has to look at exactly what it is he’s actually winning. I’ve walked away from toxic jobs, family feuds and I don’t have half the scars and tears the “never quit” types do. (Knock on wood). Partnerships have to be good for everyone; there has to be a payoff for hardwork and risk, blah blah blah.

    And sometimes ya gotta be able to look at that bum in the mirror with his shiner, fat lip, and knocked out teeth ... and be proud of what you see. We are ever always our own bosses TB. Everything, right up to and including slavery - is a choice. There is no sin in making bad choices. Sometimes there are only bad and worse choices. Take your lumps and have a rest - and get back in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice Glen. I do not know that choosing to leave rather than stay would have changed anything in this particular case, as I am sure that I would spent my time thinking that if only I had stayed, things would work out differently.

    I am trying to get better at making better decisions - or fail faster, another way to look at it. If nothing else, I have become better at dealing with failure. And coming to terms with the idea that ending something is not as much a personal failure as it can be a reasoned choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Know when to hold them, know when to fold them." Basically what Glen said, haha.

    And has he says, we are always our own boss. God gave us free will to do as we please.

    I think the important thing is to not beat yourself up over the outcome (yes, easier said than done) and to thank God for the lesson/opportunity, whichever it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, honestly one of the greatest learning experiences has been that of learning to be comfortable with a rather large failure. I have steadily been getting better over the years.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!