Monday, February 18, 2019

Back From Training 2019

I am safely returned from 2019 Iai Training!

Overall it went very well.  Other than an initial hiccup (our flight from where we live to the international leg was canceled, which was disconcerting - but we got re-routed through a second airport and got there fine) our travels were incredibly easy (Google Maps has come a long way, letting you know which train and which stop to get off on.  Pretty amazing).

Training itself was the same as last year - challenging but certainly with a purpose (although I did not always see it).  It was good to see our Headmaster again as well as the international students from across six continents.  I saw some old friends and made some new ones.  We trained for 4.3 days, then had an afternoon in Tokyo, getting to hit a sword store and some souvenir shops.

So, sticking to the "Rule of Five", what were the thoughts or outcomes from this trip?

1)  I came home with a great sense of serenity. I cannot fully tell you why it is there or where it came from.  Or even really what it means - other than perhaps, for the first time in a while, I have a great deal of clarity, at least about continuing and deepening my iaijutsu training and work.  It is a path that I am meant to be on.  The shugyo musha (Warrior's Pilgrimage) is the path for me.

2)  I was deeply struck by the lack of obesity that one sees in Japan.  It is the exception, not the rule.  What I found for myself was I was quite alright just eating three meals with no snacks - if I was able to do this while I was training, I should be able to do this while I live my normal life.

3)  Completely dis-engaging from the media and current events is a great blessing.  At one point a fellow iaidoka tried to engage me in a conversation about current events.  I made the comment that I found that I could completely cut that off while I was training.  He responded that he tried, but he could not.  I do not regret my decision to disengage.

4)  My focus continues to narrow, and I am okay with that.  I probably have about 30% to 40% shedding of things left until I reach a place where I am truly living with what I need and focusing on what is truly valuable to me.

5)  I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to turn off the need to update myself on work while I was gone.  The thought never crossed my mind once.

It was a good trip.


4 comments:

  1. Good work TB. I’ve been at this longer than you and I still have about 50% of my ‘baggage’ to jettison. It’s hard work, oddly enough. I need a break and a time out too. Too often my home page comes up with the day’s headlines - and it’s like being trolled by children. STUPID children! They’ll drive you crazy if they’re able... and they succeed with far too many people. Hope you managed to snag a few pics while you were out there. Good to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Glen! It is very good to be back.

    I am working on my baggage as well. It helps that I am continuing to narrow down my focus. It makes it easier to let ago (except, oddly, for books - I can never have enough of those!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Linda! It was a very good trip.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!