Friday, November 18, 2016

Hymn From Moby Dick

I currently find myself reading Moby Dick by Herman Melville.  Call me unrounded, but this is one book that I have never read before.   I suppose it is just something that I missed along the way  - although so far, I am enjoying it much more than The Great Gatsby, which supposedly is The Great American Novel.

At any rate, in the early part of the book the main character (Ishmael) enters a chapel and sits for the service, during which a hymn is sung.  I enjoyed the hymn so much I thought I would share:

" The ribs and terrors in the whale
Arched over me a dismal gloom,
While all God's sun-lit waves rolled by,
And lift me deepening down to doom.

I saw the opening maw of hell,
With endless pains and sorrows there;
Which none but they that feel can tell -
Oh, I was plunging to despair.

In black distress, I called my God,
When I could scarce believe him mine,
He bowed his ear to my complaints -
No more the whale did me confine.

With speed he flew to my relief,
As on a radiant dolphin borne;
Awful, yet bright, as lightning shone
The face of my Deliverer God.

My songs forever shall record
That terrible, that joyful hour;
I give the glory to my God,
His all the mercy and the power."

2 comments:

  1. It has been so long since I read it, I don't remember the hymn.
    Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the rest of the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delightful, is it not? So far I am well pleased with the book.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!