Thursday, July 14, 2016

Bastille Day



Prise de la Bastille by Jean-Pierre Houel (1735-1813)

Perhaps not unreasonably, I find myself much in The Storming of the Bastille, which is today.

I have a sense that we are moving towards uncharted ground, both as a nation and as a world.

I do not say this happily, by any stretch of the imagination.  "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" said John F. Kennedy.  But I fear that the combination of rhetoric and animosity shared (at this point) by all sides leads to nothing but sadness.

"Is it a revolt?"  asked Louis XVI the morning after the Storming of the Bastille to Duc de la Rouchefocauld, to which he replied "No sire, it's not a revolt, it's a revolution."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!