Monday, December 02, 2013

Encourager?

What if your purpose in life was to encourage others in their purpose in life?

This is the thought that cross my mind over the course of the weekend - and having crossed my mind of course, refused to go away.  What if that was it?

Not a coach, you understand, or a counselor or anything as glorified as that. A cheerleader.  An encourager. 

Is it something that I enjoy?  Yes.  Nothing gives me greater pleasure than seeing friends and family succeed in what they are doing, to find their place in the world.  There are few things more pleasurable than watching someone discover what they want to do in life and then encouraging them to have the confidence to do it.

The good news?  This is something I could start doing now.  Today.  There is no special equipment I need, no special training I have to acquire.  It is as simple as making phone calls or reading e-mails and being supportive.

The bad news?  It is not really a paying position. 

Am I good at it?  I think so.  Certainly I can be great encourager to others.  I have certainly assisted many of my own friends in trying new things or finding what they really want to do.  And trust me - the world is full of people who can tear at one's dreams or rip the ground out from under you.  An actual encourager is quite rare.

Professional Encourager.  Hmmm.  I wonder if there is a title for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!