Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Run

So I am trying to get back on schedule with my exercise program here in An Dachaigh Nua. This has been harder than I thought, first of all because I have had to change locations between moving and visiting An Teaghlach which has not given me a consistent trail to do. The second, more crippling, is the weather.

Frankly, it's hot here. Hot whenever the sun is up - and when it's not up, it's moist. Initially I was running in the evening, but that was simply too hot. I tried going for a walk on Sunday and found that just being in the sun was an experience not to be repeated (although interestingly, once I got onto a park trail with what I would assume is more native vegetation, the heat became bearable because of the shade. Urban jungle indeed).

So my choices are morning or evening before or after the sun appears. To add to this, I'm trying to set a schedule I can keep once An Teaghlach comes, since I would like to be consistent. Given the state of our lives, morning it is.

The mornings here are actually a good time to go. The sun is not up so it's not hot yet, but with only a little effort one can become covered in sweat. In fact, on the mornings when there's cloud cover it is almost cool (almost being the operative phrase there). Also interesting (and new to me) are the amount of birds that live here and how vocal they are at all times of day. The stars still look the same though, and the sky goes the same black-blue as I'm used to. And with yet a new neighborhood to look forward to, I'm sure that being away from a busy street will reveal new wonders - making running (hopefully) another new experience and way I can bond with our living choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!