Wednesday, February 04, 2009

In-N-Out-N-Gone

Having made my job search, the Ravishing Mrs. TB asked me if I would be willing to accompany her on a drive in Northern California to deliver a party kit. I checked my calender and confirming (once again) that I was still not employed, told I could manage to squeeze her into my schedule.

The day was one of those late winter/early spring days of Northern California where the weather is good, but you can see the clouds rolling in. The car is not quite warm enough without the heat on, too warm with it on. The filtered sunlight is enough to cast a light haze over everything, but sunny enough to remind you that spring is not far away.

We had a very pleasant conversation, probably the longest sustained one since we got back from Tucson (oddly enough, also the last time we were without kids. There's something going on there). I don't know that there was anything earth-shattering, just the pleasant patter of words and road noises that you kind of forget about when you're used to having others in car with you or driving alone.

Having made our drop (sounds spy-like, doesn't it), we decided to have lunch. Being as we don't get to eat by ourselves very often and that we had the time, we went to In-N-Out.

I like In-N-Out. I like their burgers, I like their fries, I like the fact that I can issue my own paper towels in the bathroom instead of having them allocated to me.

So we sat outside in the semi-warm, eating our burgers and fries and just enjoying the weather, each other, and the change of pace. We finished up, I almost licked the fry boat to get the last salty goodness out, and off we went back home.

Nothing's changed, of course: I'm still unemployed, Countrywide has still not called me back, and The Big Red Line is ticking down financially. But that's okay. I can honestly say I feel better than I have in years.

And I got In-N-Out to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!