Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Legion

This morning I had the experience of overlapping bible passages for different programs: One for my personal reading (Matthew 5-8) and one for a Bible in a Year program (Mark 5: 1-20). Parts of both readings deal with the demoniacs of the Gerasenes/Gadarenes (Matthew 8:28-34; Mark 5:1-20).

You'll remember the story: A demoniac or demoniacs (Matthew mentions two, Mark and Luke one: the belief is that there was one more prominent with whom Christ spoke) living in tombs in the country of the Gerasenes/Gadarenes, is confronted by Christ. The demoniac/s cannot be bound, cut themselves repeatedly, and are undoubtedly thin, ragged, and miserable looking creatures. When confronted, the demons recognize Jesus as the Christ and ask if He portends their final torment. Christ asks their number, and they say they are legion (A legion, in case you were wondering, was a Roman Army formation consisting of approximately 6,000 men and their equipment). They beg to be sent out a herd of pigs living near, which then stampede into the ea of Galilee. When the people of the area come, they find Christ with the demoniacs, now clothed and in their right mind. The people's response? They ask Christ to leave - which He does, but not before He sends the healed men back to declare the goodness of God.

Two things struck me as I worked through these two passages this morning: the first is the total helpless of the demon possessed. They cannot help themselves. They cannot be helped by those around them (assuming being tied up represents help). There is nothing that they could do to rectify their situation. But Christ can -and does, simply with one phrase "Come out of that man, unclean spirit!".

A fine reminder of Christ's power, I smugly think to myself, and start to wander on. But then it hit me, that I am no different than the demoniac (I mean, other than the demon possession, of course). And not just in the matter of salvation, which is a total work of God and not myself. In my own daily living, how often do I allow myself to be controlled by things other than God? How often do I turn to the One who can save, rather than to myself and my "ability" to change myself for the better?

The second thing was the response of the people. Here is a visible demonstration of the power of God. They all knew this many, knew his condition, knew their inability to change it. And yet, when they see him clothed and in his right mind, restored, what is their response? Not joy, not rejoicing, not glorifying the One who could make this happen. Instead, they are afraid - not of the sudden realization of God in their midst, it seems, but of some supernatural power, or perhaps even that if Christ continues, they'll be out of pigs! -and they plead with Him to go from them.

Again, there I am. When God does reveal His power and majesty, is my response to praise Him or show reverent fear - or is it to look askance upon the person demonstrating it, and sort of beg Christ not to do any of that around here or my life?

The demoniac received what he apparently did not ask for, while the people of the region refused what they were offered.

Do I understand how totally in need of Christ and His power I am everyday, in every situation - or do I just confine that to salvation and a few select habits I'd like to "take care of"? Once He acts, am I grateful and awestruck and cry out for more, or do I say "Let's not have too much of that, shall we?" Am I more concerned with His glory and the personal wretchedness it reveals of mine, or of how it my impact my zone of comfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!