Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Van Saga II

So the Van Saga continues.
The cause of the problem, came the analysis, was a bad cell in the battery - a little surprising to me because that battery is less than a year old and would not take a jump when I tried on Sunday.  The suggestion was a new battery - I deferred initially because it was under warranty and I thought I would just get it replaced.

Then the next line of business.

The valve gasket was leaking pretty badly, they said.  Needed to be replaced.  I first had to ask what it was and, then with the answer, take it back for conference.  The conference essentially became a question of "Well, what do you think?"

I hate to be put on the spot like that - especially with automotive items, about which I know so little. I am not able to assess what is "not quite major" and what we can live without for a while.  In the end the decision was to replace it - which of course did not settle well with me (being as how I like to avoid decisions all together), but the alternative was to do nothing and we need the van for at least another year.

Stopped by and picked up the battery to take it back for the return.  Now the second item raises its head:  the battery is kicking out the required amps.  And if it is working properly, there is no way they will take it for a return.

So here is the current dilemma:  I have a battery which is claimed to be good and cannot be returned at the moment in my garage.  In order to get the replacement, I will need to have it put back into the van and run it until the battery fails (if it does) - which I am sure will happen at a most inconvenient time.  No idea what we will do at this point.

What this experience has taught me to date is three things:

1)  How utterly dependent we have become on two autos.  Trying to co-ordinate everybody's schedule based on one car has proven very difficult indeed.  I had no idea that our lives had become so complex - and so dependent - on the availability of two autos.

2)  The reality is that we need to begin the process of saving for a replacement automotive.  Planned obsolesence if you will.  I would love to pretend that the van will last forever but the reality is it is 15 years old and has 230,000 miles on it.  If we can get through this year with no major trips, that would be a blessing - but it will need to be replaced.

3)  I am not quite sure how one becomes a bit more familiar with autos and functionality but this is something I need to add to my list of learning. I need to have some level of assessing the true nature of issues rather than just relying on the opinions of professionals.

4 comments:

  1. The so called professionals are not always as 'professional' as we may assume. As for learning about the mysteries of the auto mechanics they're nothing to be scared of, but like anything we have no knowledge of they can appear to be a dark science indeed. Modern cars are far more daunting than older ones with computer managed engine systems, non serviceable parts etc...I'm seriously considering buying an old 'classic' van that was mass produced in its day and has plenty of examples still running and with a large following and spares support base.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right of course John. My problem (and this is a lack of knowledge on my own part) is knowing precisely what they are saying when they say "X is broken and needs to be replaced". I have no frame of reference to evaluate the risk and what it should take to fix it - as you say, like anything else something one can educate one's self about, if one will just take the time. And your plan for a classic car seems apt - you are not the first person I know to suggest it.

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid you are completely out of luck with automobiles unless you want to make it your profession. They are literally designed to be user unfriendly these days. The era of the shade tree or independent mechanic shops is all but over I think. Your only real option is to find a specific make/year/model from the 90's and just learn it and never go with an actual new car again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a mystery to me anymore, Preppy. I wonder if even cars from the 1990's would fall into that category at this point. I may have to push the clock farther back.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!